How much does a Beefeater earn??????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
satans budgie said:
Service accommodation is not subsidised, its graded according to size, condition and location. MOD sold their housing stock many years ago to the highest bidder and as a very rough comparision rents are comparable with social housing rents for the area the accommodation is located. HMG subsidising rents heaven forbid!

I am sorry to disabuse your opinion. But service accommodation is very heavily subsidised. Servicemen pay for their accommodation, but the contractor extracts more money from the Defence budget as well

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
threebikesmcginty said:
Never mind the beefeaters, what's a Greek Urn?

Same as a Greek Eric?

Equal partners there, I think :thumbsup:

dodgy

Lots of people can afford housing beyond their obvious means, perhaps their parents have passed away and left them property which has been sold? That's one of the reasons whey people can afford £1,000,000 properties, salary alone isn't enough.

What I can't understand is why the woman wouldn't buy the house she really wanted, because she didn't like the idea of someone else living in a house they owned and rented out! So her answer? They try to buy the house they didn't really like /slaps forehead.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I endured that programme because I was fascinated by her bizarre reasoning (and because we're thinking of buying a place in Kent). If they'd have wound up in a junk parked off the coast of China it wouldn't have been that surprising.

This raises a point on home ownership.
60 years ago - most people rented. Then they got into buying. Each generation bought houses. In time an extended family has built up quite a housing stock.
Assuming avoidance of inheritance tax the houses will eventually be passed down within the family and the new generations will have a house in the family to take over rather than buying one with a mortgage. Rather as the upper classes have for generations.

Eventually there will hardly be a need for mortgages.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
OTH I don't see that happening, that would technically only work if there was one child that gets the house- most families don't operate that way. Besides mortgages are an income -albeit a risky one at times for the finance industry, they will do what they can to keep it going.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Over The Hill said:
Assuming avoidance of inheritance tax the houses will eventually be passed down within the family and the new generations will have a house in the family to take over rather than buying one with a mortgage. Rather as the upper classes have for generations.
Due to pensions not quite working out as planned and the rising cost of care for the elderly lots of people are taking advantage of equity release schemes so they enjoy a good quality of life/don't have to depend on their children. The pay off is that their family don't inherit their house.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
If you don't like your kids it's probably even more satisfying :laugh:

Top Bottom