How much does cycling cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fair dos - like I say, the numbers for me are easy, 'cos it's not a case of have/don't have a car, it's buy/don't buy a monthly travelcard, which makes it all a bit of a no-brainer.

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum, but the AA works this stuff out. See here .

Realistically, you don't actually need a car in this country if you live in a city (I include suburbs in this). Especially if you have a bike. It just needs a change of mindset. I've not had a car since Dec 06. Perfectly doable.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I'm paying my Ride to Work voucher off (bike, rack, lights, winter tights on sale, panniers and lock) at £25 a month.

I've spent about £40 on clothing and bought a new set of brake pads for £7. Two inner tubes and repair kit stuff at about £20. Plus silly girly accesories that I don't really need and a couple of professional check-ups a year.

So all together per month I'd say £40 a month for the bike. Plus say £15 a month on my oyster card for when the bikes in the shop, I'm going out to get a bit squiffy and can't cycle etc. So £55 a month on all my travel (I don't drive).

Sounds expensive until you factor in the fact that I used to spend £77 a month on my travelcard plus around £20 a month to get into zone 1, a grand total of £97 a month.

Top Bottom