How much does wind slow a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Being serious for a moment - which comes difficult for me - I don't think a tail wind speeds me up by the same degree that a head wind slows me down,
In handlebar discussions, much is made of the advantage of being able to use the drops in a head wind, but no one mentions the disadvantage of drop 'bars in a tail wind even when on the hoods.:whistle:

snorri

Legendary Member
I didn't read every word on that link, but I think they failed to mention the angle of the cyclists shoulders in relation to the wind, any sailor would know this is critical.
Angling the right shoulder forward in a wind blowing from left to right will have a slowing effect, whereas angling the left shoulder forward will have a beneficial effect.:smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I didn't read every word on that link, but I think they failed to mention the angle of the cyclists shoulders in relation to the wind, any sailor would know this is critical.
Angling the right shoulder forward in a wind blowing from left to right will have a slowing effect, whereas angling the left shoulder forward will have a beneficial effect.:smile:

Until you ride off the road into a ditch 😂

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If you want to answer the question. Go to the fens on a typical day and ride north. Then turn round and come back south. You’ll soon see what effect the wind is having.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Air resistance is a force so is quantified in Newtons. Multiplying this by the distance travelled (metres) gives energy expended (Joules) and dividing this by time (seconds) gives power (Watts).

This link explains more about how drag force itself is calculated :smile:
So, to complete the analysis, the average watts required to do out and back ride on a windy day is greater than the average watts needed on a still day, assuming both rides are completed in the same time. Viz; average speeds reduce on windy days. It's all about that "squared" effect of speed on wind resistance

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
... that's why i found multiplying force x time a bit unusual.
force x distance sits more easily with me!

(disclosure: i have a degree in this sort of stuff, even though it's not as fancy as some here have :smile: )
lol - so have I, although 20yrs later probably couldn't find my arse with both hands regarding most of the subject matter now :rolleyes:

Isn't force x time the formula for "impulse"? My understanding of mechanics gets sketchy once past the basics..

So, to complete the analysis, the average watts required to do out and back ride on a windy day is greater than the average watts needed on a still day, assuming both rides are completed in the same time. Viz; average speeds reduce on windy days. It's all about that "squared" effect of speed on wind resistance
FWIW I'd say that the in real-work terms you'd probably expend more energy / require more power to complete the same ride in windy conditions, but more because of tertiary issues rather than the square drag law - which shouldn't make any difference as that relationship applies whether the wind is assisting or hampering you.

Where the effect of the drag law does become relevant is on hilly terrain since due to the high speeds (and associated exponentially growing drag) encountered on descents, proportionally less of the potential energy gained on the climb is translated back into speed on the descent, if you see what I mean. So, if seeking to maintain a high average speed throughout a hilly ride the best tactic is to expend as much energy as possible attacking the hardest ascents (where speeds and hence aero drag are lowest) and putting in zero energy on the descents while seeking to minimise your drag / frontal area.

Isn't force x time the formula for "impulse"? My understanding of mechanics gets sketchy once past the basics..
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that!

But i think that is most relevant to a body being accelerated; it tells you the amount of momentum gain (from which you can calculate the change in speed, if you know the body's mass). So I think I prefer power and energy for our cycling analysis :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Same result from cycling uphill against a lighter faster rider. The amount of time lost cannot be recovered by being faster downhill, coz going downhill is much shorter in duration.

I don't know many hills where its a short climb followed by a stupendous long descent on the other side.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I seem to recall that wind-resistance increases exponentially. This means (I think) that the greater your usual speed the more a headwind will affect it.
...with modern bikes and equipment it should not be too much of a problem...

More gears & better rolling tyres? Not going to make a huge difference. Weight? might make a slight difference uphill. "Aero" (that trendy term) bikes? See below.
Wind doesn't slow up or speed up a bike much at all. The lump on top, that's a whole 'nother thang...
:biggrin:

Top Bottom