How much electricity to maintain an oven at 150 degrees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
So, to summarise the responses thus far: no-one has a clue.

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:
I'll try again. Our oven has a 2600 watt element. If I set the thermostat to 130 C and turn it on, it comes up to temperature in about 8 minutes. It takes a few minutes to settle down, but within ten minutes it's cycling at one minute on, five minutes off. It will do that for as long as it takes. The fan runs all the time of course. I guess that the fan is about 70 watts. That lot adds up to an average continuous load of about 0.5 kW. If you want to cook a bit of piggy-wiggy for seven hours, that's going to be about 3.5 kWh. At say 17p per kWh, that's about 60p in cooking costs. Of course, things will be a bit worse than this because your slab of pig introduces some thermal mass into the equation, rather than the empty oven situation that my illustration is based on.

A quid, tops.:hungry:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll try again. Our oven has a 2600 watt element. If I set the thermostat to 130 C and turn it on, it comes up to temperature in about 8 minutes. It takes a few minutes to settle down, but within ten minutes it's cycling at one minute on, five minutes off. It will do that for as long as it takes. The fan runs all the time of course. I guess that the fan is about 70 watts. That lot adds up to an average continuous load of about 0.5 kW. If you want to cook a bit of piggy-wiggy for seven hours, that's going to be about 3.5 kWh. At say 17p per kWh, that's about 60p in cooking costs. Of course, things will be a bit worse than this because your slab of pig introduces some thermal mass into the equation, rather than the empty oven situation that my illustration is based on.

He never mentioned anything about the cost of heating the oven upto temperature though, just maintaining the temperature.

New type of cooker maybe?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

So, somewhere shy of a quid. Right. Thanks. Interesting. (It was delicious BTW! :hungry:)

classic33

Leg End Member
So, somewhere shy of a quid. Right. Thanks. Interesting. (It was delicious BTW! :hungry:)
Was it worth it though?

presta

Guru
[QUOTE 4989193, member: 9609"]just make a calculated guess
2200w element running 30% of the time = 0.66 kw[/QUOTE]
It's a good guess. At 150C in a 20C kitchen, mine uses 630W (2240W on a 28.1% duty cycle.)
Can depend on the age of the cooker as well.
And the temperature of the kitchen.
So, to summarise the responses thus far: no-one has a clue.
I've already told you how to do it at the top of the thread.
Slow day in Prestaland?
How much more childish are you going to get?

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a good guess. At 150C in a 20C kitchen, mine uses 630W (2240W on a 28.1% duty cycle.)

And the temperature of the kitchen.

I've already told you how to do it at the top of the thread.

How much more childish are you going to get?
Can't be anywhere near hot enough to cook the meat. If it is, he could do with turning the heating down!

Top Bottom