How much electricity to maintain an oven at 150 degrees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
You need to know the efficiency of the oven, and the thermal efficiency of any insulation.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
As others have said an oven uses almost (in relative terms) no energy when not heating so energy usage is element wattage * time element is on / total time.

If you are concerned about efficiency a slow cooker is much cheaper.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If you want to reduce the amount of energy required by the oven to cook the pork, you should either:
1) Not open the door to check how it is doing.
2) Surround the cooker with polystyrene blocks to keep the heat in
3) Buy a more efficient oven, or
4) Turn the thermostat in your house up as high as it will go to reduce the thermal transfer into the house.

Although not all the options above will lead to an overall reduction in household electricity consumption.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I cant give you figures, because i would have to turn everything else off in the house, to have an accurate reading and my wife and kids would get cross.
A price surely worth paying. We're talking The Progress of Science here! I'm sure your family would understand. And if not, simply lock them out while you do The Experiment.

Wrong question!

It should be ... "Should I slow-roast pork/mutton/whatever for seven hours?"

And the answer is an unequivocal "YES!" ^_^. HTH. There is a wee proviso, though - at that sort of temperature, the 7 hours is a flexible feast; your joint may well be well ready rather earlier ... even a couple of hours earlier.

irw

Quadricyclist
The Verger and I are going to do that for Miss Goodbody on her birthday :okay:
:eek: Sounds painful!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wrong question!

It should be ... "Should I slow-roast pork/mutton/whatever for seven hours?"

And the answer is an unequivocal "YES!" ^_^. HTH. There is a wee proviso, though - at that sort of temperature, the 7 hours is a flexible feast; your joint may well be well ready rather earlier ... even a couple of hours earlier.
Thanks - I checked back to the recipe, which recommends 130 (fan).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When it's cooking you can get an idea of the duty cycle of the oven heating element by timing the interval between the clicks of the thermostat and/or the indicator lamp. As the meat comes up to temperature, the oven element will be off for longer periods. You can measure the energy consumption of the heating element using your electricity meter but you will have to subtract the consumption of whatever else is on in the house at the time.

swansonj

Guru
IMG_1134.PNG
This, courtesy of my smart meter and energy supplier's website, is my electricity usage yesterday. The oven was on from about 545 to 615 pm. Given the lousy resolution and all the other things going on, good luck trying to disentangle the oven!

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 377736 This, courtesy of my smart meter and energy supplier's website, is my electricity usage yesterday. The oven was on from about 545 to 615 pm. Given the lousy resolution and all the other things going on, good luck trying to disentangle the oven!
Small spike when you turned it on.

I'm assuming that there's no interest in what it cost to bring the oven upto temperature, only maintaining it at the temperature. And that was only an average temperature, not the minimum within the oven.

Top Bottom