How much extra can a lbs charge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I use my LBS as much as I can. When we got my girlfriends road bike we go it through the LBS, she didn't want the stock spec as it wasn't right for her, the LBS charged RRP price difference only on the parts. Online I've had to buy the parts she wanted & sell the stuff she didn't, saved a good £200 or so total not counting selling on the unwanted parts.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I was quoted by my LBS a price of £350 for wheels.:tongue: Including cassette, chain and tyres.

Went to Edinburgh bikes, got the above for £230, for the same equipment.;)

Shame though as I prefer to use the LBS.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I buy all my clothing from my LBS. The manager can tell what size I need from any particular manufacturers range at a glance and he is never wrong. Clothing bought through internet firms is too hit and miss, at least half of it has to go back as it's the wrong size.

Virtually all hardware comes via the net, though.

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Yes, I'm sure we'd all prefer to support our lbs, so that they're there in case we need them, apart from anything else.

Hence my though about buying the accessories from them - they seemed keen to get me to add a pile onto the quote for the "cycle to work" scheme, can anyone confirm if they're actually likely to make more margin from locks, lights etc than from the bike itself?

Nige

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
nigelb said:
can anyone confirm if they're actually likely to make more margin from locks, lights etc than from the bike itself?

Nige

probably.

and my lbs reckons he gets a lot of work servicing bikes bought at the halfords branch around the corner. the rise of internet-purchased bikes will probably get the lbs similar work…

Slowgrind

Try getting advice or support from an internet dealer! Once you've bought it returns can be a pain! I'd let the LBS know what price you've seen on the net and see if he can meet you half way. He gets your money and you get service. Net dealers have very few overheads so can hammer small sellers.

02GF74

Über Member
no different to buying your cornflake from Tesco (or other big supermarket chain) or from ye olde local corner shoppe.

(not an exact analogy* as you don't take your cornflakes back for a service, well I've never tried it).

* is the word I am looking for?

Norm

02GF74 said:
* is the word I am looking for?
I'd say Yes. ;)

Aside from the convenience, advice and tea offered, I consider the use of an LBS to be a form of insurance policy. Any problems are sorted immediately, whether I've booked in or not, from sorting out some tight bearings (potentially their fault) to fixing a puncture FOC (definitely not their fault).

I think that the corner shop analogy is very good. If you want them to be there, whether you need milk at 7:30 in the morning or advice on cleaning your chain, you need to use them.

OP
OP
N

nigelb

In fact, the shop is offering the 2010 model, I'd looked up prices on the 2009 one :smile:

Still, its available online for £379.49.

I've had a chat with the lbs concerned, and explained my position.
He quite understands, but echoes many of the sentiments raised here (and for the record not only doesn't he do biscuits, he didn't even offer me a cuppa!).

Anyway, I've opted to go with him anyway, and requested my voucher from the cycle scheme, so hopefully I'll get my new bike in about 8 weeks - SIGH.
(Online would have been much much faster)

This leaves me rattling my bones on an old racer for 8 weeks, no mudguards etc, never mind.

Thanks for all the ideas and help

Nige

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
alecstilleyedye said:
probably.

and my lbs reckons he gets a lot of work servicing bikes bought at the halfords branch around the corner. the rise of internet-purchased bikes will probably get the lbs similar work…

my brother makes a steady income from servicing bikes that have been put together in mail order warehouses.

Every (Ridgeback) bike that comes in to the shop is taken apart, and put together again - down to checking the spoke tension, straightening the derailleur hanger, re-lubing the bottom bracket and so on and so on. It takes him about 90 minutes for a straightforward Velocity - it would take most of us a great deal longer. Now you don't have to pay for that, of for the convenience of going for a test ride, but, then again, you might not get the same kind of quality on mail order.

What really ticks him off though is people coming in, trying on shoes, and then ordering them from Wiggle. That is pretty darn low....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
dellzeqq said:
What really ticks him off though is people coming in, trying on shoes, and then ordering them from Wiggle. That is pretty darn low....

That really is crappy. I never try/look at anything in an LBS that I'm not prepared to buy from that LBS at the price on the tag.

Top Bottom