How much for a bike used by the top pro's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
It's the teams, not the riders, that sell all the stuff off at the end of the season. Trouble is, it usually goes to close contacts. I've got a mate who knows a guy who's close to several DSes - he's got one of Johan Museeuw's old bikes among others. And very nice it is too.

I always knew i had friends in the wrong places. :dry:

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Pick a pro team bike, ID the kit and do the maths. It won't tell you anything much though, other than the fact that they usually ride top-end kit...
I know. I'm just being lazy and wondered if anyone knew roughly off the top of their head as it were and it turns out they do. True I am no wiser but it was just idle curiosity. I imagine every significant component on such machines costs well in excess of what I can pay for an entire bike. Maybe I could afford the handlebar tape or a brake block unless they are some sort of materail developed for the space program.

I imagine every significant component on such machines costs well in excess of what I can pay for an entire bike. Maybe I could afford the handlebar tape or a brake block unless they are some sort of materail developed for the space program.

99% of all the kit used is 'off the shelf' stuff which you or I could buy in any LBS. The UCI, in their wisdom, makes sure of that...

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
99% of all the kit used is 'off the shelf' stuff which you or I could buy in any LBS. The UCI, in their wisdom, makes sure of that...
Well in that case perhaps I could afford some very top of the line brake blocks although I still have a sneaky feeling I'd still balk at the price. Not that I need brakes. I've taken to using bmw smidsys to scrub excess (all) speed at junctions.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'd say that's very good value if you consider that each bike is Dura-Ace Di2 and will probably have an SRM power meter on it. OK it's seen a bit of action, but they rotate the bike round as each rider has 3 or 4 assigned to them (plus at least 2 TT bikes), so it shouldn't have done excessive milage. It has also been maintained (and parts replaced) by the industries top mechanics.
As long as it's not been crashed, its a bargain.

The ex-Sky bikes do not come with power meters, osymetric chain rings or ceramic bearings. They take all the really really nice bits off them.
They are simply second hand Dogmas which have a had a hard life with occasionally different bars and stem, depending upon if its a race bike or training bike

oldroadman

Veteran
Earlier comment about the Canyon, pro-spec at £3.5 retail. I don't think so....they might look the same, but dig a little deeper and all the clever bits that those lovely team machanics can get hold of are there. A frame suitable for pro use might retail at £3k, maybe. If anyone in the pro peloton is riding a £3.5 retail bike, they need a better agent to get them into a team with more money!

Top Bottom