How much for a bike used by the top pro's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I raised the question in another thread but it fell off the page. Someone did say it was meaningless because they get their stuff free but that misses the point. So roughly speaking, what would a top pros bike cost new, give or take a few quid?
I see that Sky sell off their last seasons bikes for about 3.5 grand minus wheels and pedals so I'd guess at about 4.5 for a whole bike second hand. Is that more or less than it would set you back if bought from new.
Apologies for the incredibly naive sounding question.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
£12k

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I'd say that's very good value if you consider that each bike is Dura-Ace Di2 and will probably have an SRM power meter on it. OK it's seen a bit of action, but they rotate the bike round as each rider has 3 or 4 assigned to them (plus at least 2 TT bikes), so it shouldn't have done excessive milage. It has also been maintained (and parts replaced) by the industries top mechanics.

As long as it's not been crashed, its a bargain.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd say that's very good value if you consider that each bike is Dura-Ace Di2 and will probably have an SRM power meter on it. OK it's seen a bit of action, but they rotate the bike round as each rider has 3 or 4 assigned to them (plus at least 2 TT bikes), so it shouldn't have done excessive milage. It has also been maintained (and parts replaced) by the industries top mechanics.

So presumably 4.5 grand is less than they would retail for and does represent good value if you can get your hands on one. I expect that other teams also flog off their last seasons rides as well. It represents free money to them if they get all their stuff provided by the sponsor albeit not much ib the grand scheme of things.
Still though roughly how much would top pros road bikes retail at?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you look about, you can probably pick up a pro spec (but not pro used) bike for about the same price - there are quite a few folk who will drop £8k on a bike, hardly ride it and sell it for a song some months later.

Or you could go and buy a brand new Canyon road bike for less than £4k - that's a pro road bike, just the same as used by the pro's. The 2012 model is on sale at about £3400 at present (£1200 wheels, £2000 groupset - you do the maths) as the 2013 model is coming out shortly.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

If it's been used in pro racing. it's been crashed.

Many times.

I was quite under the impression that pro riders were loaned bikes, not given bikes. Certainly not so they could go on and sell them after. That would be quite an enterprise in itself. :tongue:
I imagine they would be returned after their seasons use. Very used too.

Top Bottom