How much for this lot?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Pale Rider, 20 Jun 2018.

1. Lonestar

Lonestar Veteran

I will give you 2 bob.TIA.

2. Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger Über Member

All that for £1420 is excellent value.

Accy cyclist and SpokeyDokey like this.
  3. Electric_Andy

Electric_Andy Heavy Metal Fan

My Guess:

Service - £99
    MoT - £49
    Four premium tyres - £200
    Four brake discs and four sets of pads - £512
    Brake fluid change - £90
    Coolant change - £70
    Injector clean - no idea - £150?
    Aircon regas - £60
    Wiper blades - £40

Total - £1270

4. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Ripped of big time.:wacko:

5. Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger Über Member

Businesses need to create sufficient profit to remain in business.

screenman likes this.
  6. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

Quite, and one needs to decide whether one pays for the overhead of a main dealer or not.

FWIW I choose not to and instead pay the overhead of my local independent.

I doubt the maintenance and repair of my cars would be much better at a main dealer, definitely not enough to warrant the additional cost

derrick likes this.
  7. That price is no surprise.
    But then I've owned a BMW that cost £6000 in 18 months so nothing in the motor trade surprises me any more.

Illaveago likes this.
  8. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

You were close to what the OP declared save for the fact the tyres were £400 ;) as were eve the brakes

9. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

It's worth getting a few quotes for work. Main dealers are not always off the mark. It's even worth splitting the work sometimes and going to two places. Cars cost what they cost, you have to budget it for it or you're an idiot. Depreciation is still the biggest cost.

10. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I recently had to have a broken coil spring replaced and went to a local VAG independent (not least as it's walkable from home).
    However, I'll probably go to the main dealer for service and MOT again as I don't think there's too much price differential and as a low mileage performance model, I'd prefer to continue getting main dealer stamps (and they give the car a wash and Hoover)

11. Rooster1

Rooster1 I was right about that saddle

12. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

I think you're mixing up your cycle chat members who use cast members of spaghetti westerns as their icons. (Lee Van Cleef is not the same person as Clint Eastwood. By extension, @Smokin Joe is not the same person as @Pale Rider )

13. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

It’s true, I’m always doing that!

14. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

I'm guessing a bit as I don't know exactly exact car model and what tyres you had fitted. The auto gearbox only appears to be available on the diesel but tyre sizes for petrol are similar.

upload_2018-6-21_10-9-22.png

16" tyres;
    upload_2018-6-21_10-13-47.png

17" tyres
    upload_2018-6-21_10-15-6.png

Either way, you were gouged for £15 or £30 a tyre simply for not driving across the road to National Tyres. Assuming you only have the 'sensible' 16" wheels you just gave away £120! If we look at home fitting prices are similar but straight away I see a further 10% off for a purchase of 4 tyres so that brings it down to about £255.

It's your money, but with very little extra effort that bill could have come down to under £1k. Just getting brakes and tyres from somewhere like National Tyres could have knocked around £300 off the bill.

nickyboy and glasgowcyclist like this.
  15. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

[QUOTE 5284800, member: 259"]Indeed. Main dealer during the guarantee period (because the guarantee depends on it being done by a main dealer), then off like a shot afterwards.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to use a main dealer for servicing to maintain any warranty, that changed a few years ago.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-car-warranty-servicing/

Soltydog and Eddy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice