How much for this lot?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Pale Rider, 20 Jun 2018.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Not quite halfway right ;)

2. Jody

Jody Platinum member

£1200

3. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

The tyres I have are 'Premium Contact 6' which are £94.21 fitted from Blackcircles.

Checking the garage bill, I was charged £98.89 a tyre.

Of course, that fiver difference needs to be multiplied by four, but I can't agree an extra £19 in £400 is a 'gouging'.

Take into account the added cost to me of visiting a different garage and there's really nothing in it.

If we are looking for overcharging, I would agree with an earlier poster that £100 a wheel for the brake bits is a lot, although it appears the garage doesn't list labour separately so that £100 is 'fitted'.

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/continental/premium-contact-6/225/45/R17/Y/94/f?tyre=35948766

4. Jody

Jody Platinum member

120k and its never had a set of discs :ohmy: Call me cynical but they must have been changed at some point or now be too thin to be legal

5. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

My understanding is the disc/pad landscape changed when asbestos was largely removed from pads.

The old style pads were rock hard, the discs were the same, which meant they tended to last.

New style pads are softer, these need softer discs to get the required amount of friction, which meant they tended to wear faster.

Smokin Joe likes this.
  6. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

For simple bread and butter stuff like discs, pads, servicing, fluids etc then I always use a mobile mechanic such as https://www.clickmechanic.com For more complicated diagnostics/work then it is either marque specific independents or playing main dealers off against each other for the best best price.

7. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

I'm bored of this game now. You give no/wrong/half information to start a discussion about something you won't even reveal. Then come back with contradictory info, and for what purpose? To brag about how much money you can waste on an old car?
    I'm out of this thread, I have better things to do.

User13710 likes this.
  8. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

classic33 and User259 like this.
  9. vickster

He has revealed the cost...which he is seeking to justify to himself :smile:

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  10. vickster

11. glasgowcyclist

From other articles I've read on this it would appear to be highly unlikely.

12. glasgowcyclist

I use Quidco when buying tyres from Blackcircles. In your case I could have saved over £26 on the tyres compared to the dealer price.

13. Scott366

Scott366 Guest

Air Con re-gas for £100 is ridiculous too - my local garage does this for £30.00

Illaveago, derrick and glasgowcyclist like this.
  14. 1420 quid? Blimey, they must have big windows in that dealership.

15. Wiper blades are the new ‘headlight adjustment’ scam, from most MOT places.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice