How much for this lot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
But how much do you reckon the bill was?

£1200

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm guessing a bit as I don't know exactly exact car model and what tyres you had fitted. The auto gearbox only appears to be available on the diesel but tyre sizes for petrol are similar.

View attachment 415354

16" tyres;
View attachment 415356

17" tyres
View attachment 415357

Either way, you were gouged for £15 or £30 a tyre simply for not driving across the road to National Tyres. Assuming you only have the 'sensible' 16" wheels you just gave away £120! If we look at home fitting prices are similar but straight away I see a further 10% off for a purchase of 4 tyres so that brings it down to about £255.

It's your money, but with very little extra effort that bill could have come down to under £1k. Just getting brakes and tyres from somewhere like National Tyres could have knocked around £300 off the bill.

The tyres I have are 'Premium Contact 6' which are £94.21 fitted from Blackcircles.

Checking the garage bill, I was charged £98.89 a tyre.

Of course, that fiver difference needs to be multiplied by four, but I can't agree an extra £19 in £400 is a 'gouging'.

Take into account the added cost to me of visiting a different garage and there's really nothing in it.

If we are looking for overcharging, I would agree with an earlier poster that £100 a wheel for the brake bits is a lot, although it appears the garage doesn't list labour separately so that £100 is 'fitted'.

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/continental/premium-contact-6/225/45/R17/Y/94/f?tyre=35948766

Jody

Stubborn git
Discs at 75,000 - what you been doing - 120,000 on mine, and a much heavier car, and from 2002 !

120k and its never had a set of discs :ohmy: Call me cynical but they must have been changed at some point or now be too thin to be legal

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
120k and its never had a set of discs :ohmy: Call me cynical but they must have been changed at some point or now be too thin to be legal

My understanding is the disc/pad landscape changed when asbestos was largely removed from pads.

The old style pads were rock hard, the discs were the same, which meant they tended to last.

New style pads are softer, these need softer discs to get the required amount of friction, which meant they tended to wear faster.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For simple bread and butter stuff like discs, pads, servicing, fluids etc then I always use a mobile mechanic such as https://www.clickmechanic.com For more complicated diagnostics/work then it is either marque specific independents or playing main dealers off against each other for the best best price.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm bored of this game now. You give no/wrong/half information to start a discussion about something you won't even reveal. Then come back with contradictory info, and for what purpose? To brag about how much money you can waste on an old car?
I'm out of this thread, I have better things to do.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm bored of this game now. You give no/wrong/half information to start a discussion about something you won't even reveal. Then come back with contradictory info, and for what purpose? To brag about how much money you can waste on an old car?
I'm out of this thread, I have better things to do.
He has revealed the cost...which he is seeking to justify to himself :smile:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The tyres I have are 'Premium Contact 6' which are £94.21 fitted from Blackcircles.

Checking the garage bill, I was charged £98.89 a tyre.

I use Quidco when buying tyres from Blackcircles. In your case I could have saved over £26 on the tyres compared to the dealer price.

Top Bottom