How much have you spent on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I don't mean the bike itself, I'm talking upgrades etc.

I was thinking about this today and it occured to me that I've spent nearly half the price of my commuter on upgrades for it (it was never my commuter, it just got down graded from the race bike)

bike one:
New Stem £40
Bottle cages: £20
Wheels: £260
Pedals: £30
HRM Spares: £25

Bike two:
Stem: £105
HRM: £300
Cranks: £100
Pedals: £100

I can see now why I'm skint

ChrisKH

Guru
I'm trying to spend as little on my back-up commuter as possible. Bought the whole bike (steel frame) for £25.00 and have since added:-

Bull bars and TT levers £40.00
New brake cables and sleeves £5.00
Pedals (still sourcing)
Saddle (had one already at nil cost)
Bottle cage £7.00
Front mech (still sourcing)

Would be nice to come in under £100 the lot.

The road bike tho' that's another matter. Haven't started on it yet, but probably a new saddle, wheels and pedals in due course. They will definitely not be under £100.

papercorn2000

New wheels, new groupset, new saddle, new seatpost, new bars and stem, new headset.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not think about it!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mudguards £20
New Saddle £50
Bike Computer £15
New Tyres £30
Fiz:ik ICS bag £11
Magnum Lock £35
Blackburn Quadrant/Mars Set: £20
Torch 9x Rear Light £7
Smart Superflash Rear light £11
Clipless Pedals and Shoes £50

Eyeing up some Pro-Race tyres for the Summer, and I'm sure a new set of wheels will make me much faster... :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
walker said:
I don't mean the bike itself, I'm talking upgrades etc.

I was thinking about this today and it occured to me that I've spent nearly half the price of my commuter on upgrades for it (it was never my commuter, it just got down graded from the race bike)

bike one:
New Stem £40
Bottle cages: £20
Wheels: £260
Pedals: £30
HRM Spares: £25

Bike two:
Stem: £105
HRM: £300
Cranks: £100
Pedals: £100

I can see now why I'm skint

You obviously don't do a job that requires any knowledge of finance,mate:evil::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm too much....

Best bike has had 4 sets of wheels over the years - three of the sets still great, but two of them are tub only so now retired... things like stems, saddle, pedals etc.

Training bike - fair few replacement parts, 2 x frames (both accident damaged) three sets of wheels (old sets deceased), pedals (fair few).

Commuting MTB - re-spray, new head set / BB / chain / sprockets / tyres / anti theft QR skewers / bottle cages / commuting tyres / mudguards / lights / good locks (all bar re-spray is since August last year) - god knows what I've spent, but having changed jobs from where I was spending £250 per month on fuel.....I think I've saved quite a bit.

Maz

Guru
well...I always massage the figures if my wife asks. ;)

Mortiroloboy

Wilier - wheels, Campag Zondas= £265 + Selle Italia Flite gel flow saddle= £50
Giant - RD Tiagra = £12.

Giant -will be receiving a full Mirage Groupset sometime this year, once I have saved up the cash = £200(ish)

I've written down my spending on the bikes for the last 3 years in the back of an old diary - the kind with the 'monthly accounts' section that I never use for monthly accounts... ;)

I have 3 bikes - one about 30 years old, one 10 years old and one new last year. The oldest bike (cost £50) has had 4 times the purchase price spent on it in the 5 years I've owned it, the 10 year old bike has had new tyres and brakes in the 2 years I've owned it, and the newest has had... one new inner tube!

(This doesn't count the expense on tools, lights and consumables like claening gear that apply to more than one of them).

So far I've been quite good - mudguards and ligths got transferred from old bike, bottle cages got thrown in as a freebie, the computer was £5 instead of £25 as bought at the same time as the bike... Only thing that got properly upgraded was the fork (££99 CRC sale)...Still have the itch for new wheels and disc brakes though, but I know it's not really worth it, so I'm managing to hold back so far! :blush: Oh, and I got some alternative tyres (£30), but that is not really an upgrade...

simonali

Guru
Bought my bike in Jan; cost £550. Spent on it so far:

Carbon forks £75
Lights £200
Saddle £55
Bars £15
Stem £20
Pedals £55
Bottle cage £6

Planned for near future

XT shifters £50ish
9 speed chain £??
9 speed cassette £??
and possibly some 700C wheels for longer road rides.

I've also bought some new shoes that I wouldn't have bought had I not got the bike (£115)!!

Top Bottom