How much is my tree worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
A guy at the back of us was quoted £1000 to take out a huge poplar tree. The main stem is well over 3ft in diameter. He thought it was expensive. I though it was not a bad deal.

That's to take it down and cart it away.

Sorry not much help that is it?

Tin Pot

Guru
In a similar vein to @woodenspoons I haven’t got great news for you. I wouldn’t get your hopes up and expect anything for it. The works are going to cost a lot more than what it’s worth for fire wood.

Being in the trade, and like any other person in the same position, I would quote you for the labour, use of machinery, fuel (saws chipper etc) processing and disposal of the foliage. If the wood was any good, it still needs to be split and seasoned, so I wouldn’t be able give you any money or a discount on the work if you let me take the wood. If you instructed me to leave the wood on site, to be honest that would be an easier option for me and it would be up to you what you did with it.

Sorry. Not the news you wanted to hear, but the truth.

And hence I will jack my trees down with an axe and burn them in the garden.

:smile:

Only slightly worried about the neighbours car and telephone wires...

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
A guy at the back of us was quoted £1000 to take out a huge poplar tree. The main stem is well over 3ft in diameter. He thought it was expensive. I though it was not a bad deal.

That's to take it down and cart it away.

Sorry not much help that is it?

I have the quotes for dropping it, luckily there are some big favours coming back. I do not think £1000 is out of the way otherwise.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
And hence I will jack my trees down with an axe and burn them in the garden.

:smile:

Only slightly worried about the neighbours car and telephone wires...

I like your style. The first tree I ever felled and limbed for money with an axe was a big apple tree in an orchard. I did it quicker than a similar sized one next to it with a chainsaw. And was almost ill afterwards.

Useless Trivia No. 41: FTP originally stood for ‘Functional Treefelling Power’.

I had the wood from 4 apple trees for about 3 years and took some on my honeymoon. In folklore, apple has strong love connotations.

No longer married :scratch:

Last edited:
Show us your ash trees... Well, here's mine - on the left. :wub:

IMG_9982_small.jpg

Big one in the middle is a holly and the one on the right smothered in ivy is a large willow.

I also have a few more trees... :whistle:

colly

Re member eR
Just remembered we had a large branch of a laburnum tree which was leaning over the drive removed a couple of years back. An aquaintance of some friends asked if he could have the large sectons of branch if he paid for the cutting and removal.
Laburnum looks nice and makes good furniture and he is a keen amature woodworker. He's going to store it for as long as is needed then make something from it.
Which is better than burning it.:smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
Don’t pollard an ash. It won’t thank you for it. Ash can be crown reduced well by a good arborist, but can also suffer once pruned.

Why not - a neighbour has done just that....

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Why not - a neighbour has done just that....

At the risk of the thread derailing into tree health, if the tree is mature, the removal of large limbs leaves large wounds. Subsequent stress of the tree can lead to it being more prone to disease. Heavy pruning leads to growth of reaction wood, which then needs pruning. Ash can be pollarded very successfully, but needs regular management. Ive a pollard ash on my farm that we still crop for “tree hay”. Sheep love leaves and bark

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I spent all my career in horticulture, not arboriculture, and know enough about trees to appreciate the professionals are offering sound advice. I wouldn’t expect a mature tree to come down for less than £1200-1500. I have a huge sycamore which I would like crown reduced and was quoted £1100 last year. I felt this a reasonable price as it’s a very skilled job.

As regards wood value locally I can get a builder’s bulk bag of seasoned wood delivered for £55-65 depending on wood quality. A bulk bag isn’t very much wood so this appears expensive but all the cost is in the labour. I have a wood burner and open fire, currently I’ve two years worth of timber stored all of which I’ve scavenged locally from neighbours etc. Logging, splitting and stacking is very labour intensive.

Whenever I find a wood source people are generally happy to get rid of it. If you find someone prepared to pay, no matter how little, jump at it. Personally I wouldn’t pay for unseasoned, unlogged wood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom