How much is my tree worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Ash is moderate water demand tree (NHBC Chapter 4.2 Building near trees). Something to consider is that if you get rid of it, if your house is on clay, it may swell and cause some heave once the tree is no longer abstracting water out of it.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Ash is moderate water demand tree (NHBC Chapter 4.2 Building near trees). Something to consider is that if you get rid of it, if your house is on clay, it may swell and cause some heave once the tree is no longer abstracting water out of it.

Or this scenario:

I rebuilt a drystone wall last winter. A large ash was growing next to it doing no visible harm. The clients had the tree coppiced (that’s ground level) Then the stump grew an abundance of very fast growing water shoots as thick as shovel handles and consequently pushed the wall over into the middle of the road.

Ash will regenerate with alarming success, year after year after year after year after year after year. I deal with self seeded ash way to often for my liking and to the detriment of my normally sanguine demeanour.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5160773, member: 9609"]I have a free source of dead elm, as much as I want but have to fell it, cut it split it get it home and stack it - I often wonder if its worth the effort. From getting the van and chain saw ready to getting home with it all tidied and stacked up with probably be 4 or 5 hours of hard work, all for 60 or £70 worth. If I didn't enjoy doing it I wouldn't and I certainly wouldn't be paying the farmer.[/QUOTE]
Completely agree. I’m retired so have plenty of time to gather a large store of wood whenever it becomes available. It’s a very good use of my labour as this provides our winter day time heat meaning we only run the central heating for about 3 hours a day. Year on year I’m actually reducing our heating bill.

Added to this I get a good deal of satisfaction from well cut and split logs. Good physical work.

If I worked my weekends would be too valuable to spend cutting logs.

As regards wood value locally I can get a builder’s bulk bag of seasoned wood delivered for £55-65 depending on wood quality. A bulk bag isn’t very much wood so this appears expensive but all the cost is in the labour. I have a wood burner and open fire, currently I’ve two years worth of timber stored all of which I’ve scavenged locally from neighbours etc. Logging, splitting and stacking is very labour intensive.

Whenever I find a wood source people are generally happy to get rid of it. If you find someone prepared to pay, no matter how little, jump at it. Personally I wouldn’t pay for unseasoned, unlogged wood.

Here it's around £150 for a cubic metre of seasoned logs - but we're out in the fens. Not many trees in the area other than mine. No gas out here in the boonies, and it's either oil or solid fuel heating. (I'm on solid fuel) It explains why the chap who moved in at number 6 tried to pull a fast one by offering to wield my chainsaw and helping himself to half my logs. I told him (politely) to go and do one. Plus the usual case of wannabe alpha male trying to rescue a damsel who had better chainsaw and axe skills than he did...

I really enjoy working in my wee wood. Plus all the sawing and splitting keeps me pretty fit.

After the storm at the end of last month, I cleared up a friend's fallen trees - two large (dead) standard apples. Was a win-win for both of us; she saved on a tree surgeon and I got about a months' worth of ready-to-use logs. I'd have taken them even if the wood was green as I have the space to let it season - which I appreciate that not everyone has.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My wood burner heats my house for free and has done for years on wood from neighbours felled trees that they were only too happy to see the back of.

I too would only be too happy to see the back of my neighbours.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
If it is cut up into boards and seasoned it would be worth about £25 a cubic foot. Skilled artisan woodworkers could turn your tree into around £100,000.

Top Bottom