How much maltodextrin??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hesitate to put this here but seemed maybe the best place - I stress though that I am not part of the "performance" racing crowd - just do long day rides sometimes, including when touring.

Have been using maltodextrin powder for a couple of years on these rides.

But not sure how much to chuck in the bottle.

I use 1 litre bottles for the powder feed - my other bottle is plain water.

I also by the by carry an extra supply of powder with me (I use panniers) so don't necessarily have to get the hit from the powder all in one go.

I also put an electrolyte of some sort in the bottle with the maltodextrin.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use a 25 mL scoop which is about 25 g of powder when level, but heaped to more like 30 g/30 mL. 2 of those in 3/4 litre so I am doing about 80g/80 mL of powder per litre.

BurningLegs

Veteran
out of interest, what's the dextrose for?
Faster energy than the maltodextrin?
Exactly. Dextrose is as immediate as it gets, maltodextrin is one (small) step along from it. I'd probably be fine on just dextrose but one benefit of maltodextrin is that it isn't sweet tasting.

On long rides I like to use oats for longer term energy release. Usually as much porridge as I can stomach an hour or so before heading out the door, then flapjack on the road.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Fun video. Possibly 500g of maltodextrin and 100g of fructose in one bottle is on the high side for @Blue Hills 's requirements. And 120g of MCT powder is 2-4 times the 'maximum daily dose' most producers of it recommend. The consequences of drinking that must be at the very least 'potentially unfortunate' in the short term.
Definitely agree. Which is why, I think, they state in the clip that this is a concentrate that you should only ever take with additional water. The logic behind it, again - I think, is that you only ever take 2 bottles with you on a ride: One with the concentrate and the other with water. You then top up with water along your route, as you normally would. This saves you taking 4-5 'nutritional' bottles. Ergo, if your ride is not as long and all you want is 500-600 kcal, just keep the amount of water in the recipe the same while dividing all the other ingredients by 4. Not rocket science, is it?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Exactly. Dextrose is as immediate as it gets, maltodextrin is one (small) step along from it. I'd probably be fine on just dextrose but one benefit of maltodextrin is that it isn't sweet tasting.

On long rides I like to use oats for longer term energy release. Usually as much porridge as I can stomach an hour or so before heading out the door, then flapjack on the road.
I personally don't think I need the dextrose. I use the maltodextrin as a base fuel. On top of that I carry home-made snack (contains oats, syrup or honey, peanut butter, sunflower seats dried fruit etc) and do road/churchside stops for espresso, maybe cake. If I need a sudden sugar boost I use Lidl wine gums.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Definitely agree. Which is why, I think, they state in the clip that this is a concentrate that you should only ever take with additional water. The logic behind it, again - I think, is that you only ever take 2 bottles with you on a ride: One with the concentrate and the other with water. You then top up with water along your route, as you normally would. This saves you taking 4-5 'nutritional' bottles.
I fear all that powder has fried their brains. What's to stop you taking along some more powder? Far more compact than all those extra bottles (prefilled with water as well). That's what I do. I do sometimes make up another bottle mid-ride. Water found along the way of course.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I use a 25 mL scoop which is about 25 g of powder when level, but heaped to more like 30 g/30 mL. 2 of those in 3/4 litre so I am doing about 80g/80 mL of powder per litre.
thanks again colin - i checked again - seems to be near enough what I have been using in my 1 litre bottles - ie one fattish finger. Seems to suit me. As I said, I just use it as base nutrition, I like to use "real" food for the rest.
This 10kg is sure going to last me a hell of a long time, especially as life circumstances mean I'm doing less big rides at the moment - I think I bought the last 5kg almost two years ago and I still have a fair bit left.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I personally don't think I need the dextrose. I use the maltodextrin as a base fuel. On top of that I carry home-made snack (contains oats, syrup or honey, peanut butter, sunflower seats dried fruit etc) and do road/churchside stops for espresso, maybe cake. If I need a sudden sugar boost I use Lidl wine gums.
“MMMM” :hungry::hungry::hungry::cuppa: @Blue Hills do you need a cycling companion. ^_^.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This 10kg is sure going to last me a hell of a long time, especially as life circumstances mean I'm doing less big rides at the moment - I think I bought the last 5kg almost two years ago and I still have a fair bit left.
Same for me. I noticed that the large plastic bottle which I use to store powder only has about 2 x 100 km worth left in it. I checked the bag that the bottle was filled from and it still has over a year worth of powder in it.

Top Bottom