How much money has commuting saved you so far this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fuel and parking over a month 279.80 or 3077.80 over 11 months,(but that was over 3 years ago)my commute is 210 miles per week.
vs
now, a new commute bike every year, selling the old one ( i generally don't service or replace components unless it fails) so well in the black
with the exception of branded cycle clothing which gets expensive... but i cant help it I'm a brand whore.
210 miles a week. Yikes! Glad I ain't got your commute. How long per week are you on the bike?

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I'm gonna run the costs down by keeping the allez for fair weather and commuting on the mountainbike (cost me £50 so far!) the allez needs some work doing and a nice clean which i may do tonight/tomorrow. strip down, lube and refit. has done 2000 miles this year all weathers so needs it lol. has cost me just under £500 this year without factoring in the cost of the bike!

The MTB needs a fettle and needs bits replacing (weird knocking from the front forks, brake pads, possibly new chain and cassette) plus may upgrade from gripshifts to trigger shifters to make it easier to ride!

GrasB

Veteran
I make it around £500 a year more to commute to work than to drive. Why? Because my wife drives to the same campus. Any money spent on commute cycling thus becomes an extra expense. :wacko:

pac-man

210 miles a week. Yikes! Glad I ain't got your commute. How long per week are you on the bike?
around 15 hours per week
but that is dependant on how the day at work has gone (spend most of my working day on my feet) so if I've had a laborious day it may add up to 20mins onto the homeward journey

Difficult one. Any money I 'save' by cycle commuting gets 'invested' in more cycle gear. In fact I am 'investing' in a new bike for audax duties in the spring. Suppose, if truth be told, I am very much in the red! Still, it's a darn sight less expensive than UK SCUBA diving which used to be my vice. Cycling is easier to fit around family duties as well. Thank goodness I have an understanding wife.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have never worked out exactly how much it has saved me actually.

Stuff to convert racer: £210

Cost of bus ticket: £6.50
Times commuted: 6
Times used bus: 4

Total cost of bus tickets this year so far: £26
Savings from commuting: £39

Times I need to commute to earn back purchase of stuff for bike: 33

J.Primus

I have never worked out exactly how much it has saved me actually.

Stuff to convert racer: £210

Cost of bus ticket: £6.50
Times commuted: 6
Times used bus: 4

Total cost of bus tickets this year so far: £26
Savings from commuting: £39

Times I need to commute to earn back purchase of stuff for bike: 33

You've only been to work 10 times this year!?

Downward

Guru
This year ?

In Petrol alone £300. CBA to work out Wear and Tear on Car. I am on Limited Mileage Insurance too. It's a shame I pay £210 for VED on the car though. This needs updated.

Not even spent a great deal this year either - £80 tops.

Top Bottom