How much oil on a new cassette & chain...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
derosa said:
Two of the best degreasers ever made :wacko:

Yep, those two and GT85 - a spray of any of those on your cassette, give it a little scrub with a washing up brush, then clean it off with washing up liquid and you have a pristine, totally grease free set of cogs. Don't put it on your chain.

Use a proper lube, none of that Halfrauds pseudo-lube either.

Chris James

Über Member
Perhaps I should suspected something when my LBS recommended it? What with them having an interest in selling me new chains?

Having said that I ride in all weathers, summer and winter, wet and dry, have used it for over a year and my chain is still showing as being unworn, so I am happy to stick with it for the moment.

Chris James

Über Member
jashburnham said:
I don't understand why people don't use actual bike lube, it's not exactly expensive and lasts for ages.

Not sure if that comment was aimed at TF2 or WD40 but I'll respond anyway!

TF2 IS marketed as a bike lube. It may be rubbish at that (I would be interested to hear anyone's empircal evidence about that), although so far it seems fine to me. Also my LBS who sold it to me is staffed by keen club cyclists and have a locally well regarded work shop. That is the lube they use.

One might get the impression that some on here are qualified tribologists with their definite opinions as to which lubes are the best. Half the time they are merely justifying to themselves why they use their personal favourite - which has often been selected as much for its cleanliness as its lubricating properties.

As far as the comment about TF2 being a 'degreaser'. All lubes (as opposed to 3 in 1 oil for example) have a solvent base which allows them to penetrate into the interstices of the chain. This evaporates leaving a lubricating residue. So you can use any lube as a (expensive) cleaner if you want, spray it on and wipe it off immediately. This affects in no way its use a lube though.

Finally, we are talking about a simple bike chain operating in a relatively benign environment. Whether you really need a lube that has been designed for chain saw use or operating at the bottom of the North Sea is a moot point. A bit of veggie oil might well work too. If what you are using doesn't work as well as you feel it should then you can just try another one. If you really want to reduce chain wear then fit mudguards rather than use hi-tech lubes. But that might make your bike look less cool so people concentrate on the minute differences between lubes instead.

From previous threads we can't even agree whether or not it is a good idea to clean the chain, never mind agree on the 'best' lube.

To the original poster, I personally wouldn't use WD40. It doesn't even have much pretention to being a lube. Its primary purpose is as a water dispersant and secondary to loosen seized threads. Bike use is well down the list.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Chris James said:
To the original poster, I personally wouldn't use WD40. It doesn't even have much pretention to being a lube. Its primary purpose is as a water dispersant and secondary to loosen seized threads. Bike use is well down the list.

I was aware WD40 is not actually lubricant (must have read a mickle missive in the past!), and tend to use it as a water dispersant in winter, rather than as a substitute for oil. I have always assumed that it helps prevent rust, and the bike does run better with it for a short while, although it evaporates fairly quickly.
Would it be better not to use it at all, i.e. could it actually be doing more harm than good?

giant man

I can't see myself using WD40 for anything other than releasing corroded components, because this is what it's for. Why try and use it for anything else?

Unkraut

giant man said:
I can't see myself using WD40 for anything other than releasing corroded components, because this is what it's for. Why try and use it for anything else?

To coin a phase, because it's there!! ;)

I still have my original English can, but it is now available in the Fatherland.

Chris James

Über Member
Unkraut, WD40 might work. The only sure way to find out is to use it and see! But you run the very real risk of having to replace your chain and posisbly your cassette much sooner than you expect.

It should give a small amount of lubrication but it may not be very adherent. So theoretically it might only work if you reapply it every few miles!

Does your chain squeak? As a very rough rule of thumb, if it sounds noisy then there is wear. If it soudns smooth and silent then it is probably okay.

As I said, I'd use something else.

Unkraut

Chris James said:
Unkraut, WD40 might work. The only sure way to find out is to use it and see! .....

The chain and cassette on my new bike certainly lasted longer than on my old bike, which I oiled far too much and took almost no care of the chain etc at all. I have had just under three years' usage on the newer bike (over 7000 miles) when the chain broke, and the LBS replaced both chain and cassette. I had used WD40 on the new bike, but usually only in winter or when wet. It does work as a short-term lubricant, but from the discussion here I think I will reduce using it.

I get the feeling that if you keep the chain and accoutrements reasonably free of gunk, masses of lubrication shouldn't be all that necessary.

Top Bottom