How much quicker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil-W-

Righty Ho! - So I'm a new recumbent rider and proud owner of a Pashley PDQ for just over a week now. I have previously commuted 28 miles round trip OCCASIONALLY (and I do mean occasionally) on a converted Mtb with electric assist kit and road tyres. The electric kit was/is great in that it takes out the hills and headwinds and I could average 16mph. I am not fit at all, about 4 1/2 stone over my ideal weight but I do like to push myself.
So today I commuted on the PDQ for the first time, this is also the longest un-electrically assisted ride I have ever done (twice). My journey in was about 1hr and 15mins (14 miles obviously) my way back was into a stiff headwind that had got up (IE there was no tailwind to speak of this morning) and was 1hr 35mins and my quads and glutemus maximus are now feeling it!

I'd like to commute regularly, starting with once or twice a week and building up- however I'm wondering whether I should give the electric kit up and commit to becoming faster or purchase a new hub motor with higher rpm to match the PDQ's 20" wheel size.

I know I will improve, my lungs give out before my legs at the moment- I also know the bike could benefit from a service as the front wheel bearing sounds ropey and the chain is pretty 'orrible!

I'm wondering if anyone has any words of encouragement of how much quicker they got or are most recumbent riders already fit upright riders who made the switch?
Also, how much difference will a bearing and chain service make? will it be noticable? - I've been too pre-occupied riding it to sort it out yet although something tells me I'll not be doing that tomorrow!
I'm very happy with the bike for leisure/excercise and I am aware there are much faster recumbents out there but until I have put some serious miles on this bike and sold at least one of my others there is no way I'm buying a different bike; I'm just trying to work out whether commuting in around an hour each way is a bit of a pipe dream or whether I just need some patience and persistance?

Now if I could just get my legs to carry me up and down stairs again.....

byegad

Legendary Member
You don't mention the route profile.
I used to commute 16 miles each way. My work place was literally at sea level, Quay side and tidal, I live at 105m above sea level, there are hills, both up and of course down, between home and work. On a DF tourer I typically took under 1h 5 mins into work, my best ever was 1h 2m and worst still under 1h 10m.
Going home is a different story. Best ever trip was around 1h 15m and worst around 1 40m. The latter on a wet and windy (Headwind of course.) day when I was feeling below par anyway.

I only had my recumbent bike for a few weeks before I retired an so didn't commute on it, brand new bike left in a public place was a no, no. I now only ride three wheels and the other week needed to go to a shop very near where I used to work. Time in? 1h 5m, Time home? 1h 25m. I'm over 4 years older than the last time I did that run and frankly the times were a pleasant surprise. I'd expect to be faster on a two wheel 'bent.

Don't be impatient. It took me 1000+miles to be faster on my recumbent bike than I was on a DF and I was DF cycle commuting for several years before I bought the 'bent bike. I'd guess that you are starting from a lower base fitness. The fact that you have done the first commute is a credit to you. I'd suggest trying to do it once a week for a month, with other rides during the week, remember to take at least one day off the bike every week. Then commute twice a week for a while before making it three times. Before long you'll be able to do it every day and you will get faster as well as feeling it is easier the more you do.

Going for every day too soon will set you back. So a gradual steady build up and not being afraid to take your time will be the best way forward.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Byegad's advice is good. Doing both ways in one day might be a strain too. Perhaps you can find a way to cycle in one day and go home by car or bus or whatever, then drive in the next day and cycle home and so on.

If you can carry the bike in the car, and if no-one needs the car at home on the nights you leave it at work, you've got it sussed. I have several colleagues who do this for a long commute.

It has the additional advantage that, once you've left your car at work, you have no option but to cycle to work the next day. Does wonders for one's motivation!

I'd also add that a lot of folk on here are obsessed with speed. There's more to life than speed. I'd be more concerned with how you feel towards the end and at the end of each trip. If you enjoy arriving sweaty, shivery, barely able to walk and feeling like you're going to throw up, good luck to you: keep pushing your speed! If not, aim to be fit enough to arrive feeling pleasantly well-excercised but not knackered. It takes as long as it takes.

I'd suggest you do look at the hub and chain, if only because if you don't, it gives you another excuse not to get on the bike. There's nothing worse than knowing some of your precious energy is being wasted. Check the brakes as well - PDQs' brakes are prone to being draggy. And tyre pressures - get 'em good and hard if you haven't already. Sorting those things out might make you quicker for very little effort.

OP
OP
P

Phil-W-

Thanks for the replies, I will indeed endevour to start to slowly build up the frequency I cycle in. My 'need for speed' isn't particularly down to the desire to go quickly rather just to get the commute done in a reasonable time whereby it is a practical alternative to the car.
At the moment I have to drive in and park up about 1/4 mile away from work, so it's about 45 minutes in by car.
If I could cycle in around an hour to an hour and ten each way then hopefully I could aspire to doing that everyday one day. (At the moment my wife works near me and i give her lifts when she can't get a lift with a colleague)
The ultimate goal really is fitness in comfort, the thing I love about the idea of commuting is that it takes so much less time to fit my cycling in, plus a nice sense of acheivement.

I will try and get the bike in tip top condition and concentrate on slowly building my fitness as I commute more often. That's the plan anyway!

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement though I will keep you abreast of my progress and hopefully weight loss :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
One thing I used to do on a fine evening was buy a sandwich at the local shop at lunchtime and take the pretty, and long, way home stopping for tea (the sandwich) when I got hungry.
Something like that is a ride out at the end of the working day, not a commute and well worth it.

n-ick

Yo, remember that it's going to take a few months for your leg muscles to adjust to the bent action. this is quite specific to each bike /trike. I ride a Qnt and had a day on the boss's Explorer, the legs really ached. So did other bits when she found out that I'd borrowed it.
Forget speed, this is all about comfort and style. I was quite pleased to find 66mph on my gps max speed though ,
( I'd forgotten to switch it off in the van.)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think if you can do it one way in 1hr 15 mins, then you can get that down to an hour, with a bit of training. Although I agree with Phil, it's not all about speed (but then, I'm a bit slow myself!) However, especially on the way in, you do have a certain time pressure.

I ride upright day to day, and recumbent (trike) for longer leisure rides. I think I'm slightly faster on the upright (certainly on my summer one, which is lighter than the trike, possibly not on the winter one), but there's not much in it - I don't have a particular ride I can compare though.

What I lack in speed on the trike, I make up for in comfort - that's my main reason for having it.

I'm glad to hear you're getting on well anyway!

byegad

Legendary Member
Yo, remember that it's going to take a few months for your leg muscles to adjust to the bent action. this is quite specific to each bike /trike. I ride a Qnt and had a day on the boss's Explorer, the legs really ached. So did other bits when she found out that I'd borrowed it.
Forget speed, this is all about comfort and style. I was quite pleased to find 66mph on my gps max speed though ,
( I'd forgotten to switch it off in the van.)

I don't believe that Nick! If you'd said it was the QNT down hill that would be more likely. :tongue:

Top Bottom