How much should I spend on an 11 speed chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hello all,

My chain is nearing death after a year of use on my 2016 Giant Defy 1 Disc, running Shimano 105. Prices for a replacement seem to vary quite widely, so what would you recommend? I'll be buying from this range at Wiggle, so something on there would be helpful.

Currently I have a quick link type and I think I'll buy my new one with the same type of link.

Thank you all in advance :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
£15.67

13 rider

Guru
The dearest one it will make you so much faster :okay:
Personally I like thinks to match so Shimano for me £27.99 . I recently changed my chain 10 speed Shimano ultegra was £17.99 from halfords .
Nothing wrong with the Kmc one for £15.67

kiwifruit

Über Member
Normally used KMC X11SL 11‑Speed, but yesterday I change to KMC X11-93 11 Speed Chain £23 cheaper. Went out for a ride today and I haven't noticed any difference. Brought mine from Halfords as same price as Wiggle. Also 10% off with British cycling.

U

User6179

Do KMC not make Shimano chains ?

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I've been more impressed by SRAM lately, but I get them loose from the lbs who still call them sedis chains, not :sad: wiggle :sad:
Yes, sorry - I'd love to buy from my LBS but he's shite and my time is too limited to go further afield to the decent one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always buy the second cheapest SRAM chains for my bikes. I assume that they are slightly better than the cheapest, but I don't think that it is worth spending much more than that for the most marginal of marginal gains!

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I always buy the second cheapest SRAM chains for my bikes. I assume that they are slightly better than the cheapest, but I don't think that it is worth spending much more than that for the most marginal of marginal gains!
You're almost certainly right. Like I say, its a chain.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

How shire would you have to be to screw up a chain sale?
I'm not expecting him to screw up the chain sale, I just don't like patronising outlets that are a) not very knowledgeable about what they sell, and, b) only interested in selling me the most expensive thing they can.
But other online retailers are available, that don't cut thousands of northern Irish jobs.
Didn't know they had and who do you recommend as an alternative?

Top Bottom