How much space do i need - bags!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
I'm currently trying to decide between getting a rack and panniers or a larger saddlebag (Carridace SQR for example).

However i'm not sure how much space i need in Ltrs so thought i'd ask what you've got and what fits in it!

I'd be looking at general commuting stuff so a change of clothes, couple of spares tubes and some tools, spare lights, waterproof, keys, phone etc. A4 folder might be nice but not essential (i'm guessing i'll need panniers for that!

So what literage?! do i need...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A backpack will carry all the stuff you need (I know because I carry that and more in a backpack each day). You obviously would prefer panniers or bike mounted luggage system, so look up a backpack of the same size you can fit that stuff in, look up the litres it will hold, and buy panniers of equivalent size.

Sorry I cant give you any numbers, only suggest a way to work it out via comparison.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Good idea, i currently use a rucksack. I suppose i could put a bin liner in it, fill it with water and see.....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mike!, I don't quite know what you mean by "a change of clothes", but my guess is that the stuff you mention would comfortably fit into one of the panniers I have......

20 litres.

Ive got Ortieb sport packer pannier, and on their own (15l) I think would be too small for all the stuff you list Mike! I'd agree with the other folk, 20l will handle things comfortably.
Thanks to their snow gasket and carrying a small scrunch bag, I've never had a problem. Thats just me however I like compact units.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Have you got a rack?

Edit: Sorry, that was directed at Mike!

If not, the Tortec Expedition alloy rack seems to work well.

e-rider

crappy member
I would prefer the single Altura 20L pannier - but thats just my opinion.

As for balancing the load, unless it's really heavy it isn't a problem to have it on one side - I do that everyday and never even notice.

Even if I stop at the shop for booze I can put 6 cans in with M18 lock and once I'm riding it feels fine

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
slowmotion said:
Have you got a rack?

Edit: Sorry, that was directed at Mike!

If not, the Tortec Expedition alloy rack seems to work well.

No i don't have a rack yet so will check that one out, thanks!

stevepratt48

I used asingle (20l) pannier for 500 miler, 1 change of clothing (Cycle stuff) plus light trousers, shoes, for off bike. 20l was fine, bike still weighed close to 60lbs, with water GPS etc. you'll pay on the hills!

Top Bottom