1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much today

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by postman, 18 Feb 2008.

1. postman

postman Legendary Member

My cycle buddy and me.Have started to take a guy out one day a week.He is not well.So far we have taken him out to our cycling cafes.Today took him to Roundhay Park.The new Visitors Centre.Now the questions are.In 1803 land was bought by a wealthy man for £58,000,In 1871 further land was purchased for £139,000 .How much is that in todays money.Anyone got a clue?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Significantly more I would have thought.

3. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

The murderer does not have a moustache.

Umm, on a less flippant note, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid reckons you're looking at about £8.2 million.
    Which is still probably less than's been wasted on freestyle fixed gear conversions in the last 24hrs...

4. postman

postman Legendary Member

Thanks for that.How rich these people must have been.The mansion is quite big .But the grounds are enormous two lakes for starters.

5. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Along the same lines; my maternal great-grandmother's family, Angel, from the West Country, owned property in London valued over 150 years ago at about £60 million! The deeds disappeared.
    It was mentioned on Channel 4's 'Find a Fortune' with Carol Vorderman several years ago, but that programme also mysteriously vanished from the airwaves/internet.
    How much is that amount worth today?

6. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

there's a link above;)

7. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

The cafe's bloomin' nice though!!

8. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Veteran

About £3.5 billion ! - which would make you the 10th richest person in the UK (or thereabouts)

9. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I've always liked you Dayvo. I can be your best mate if you want? :blush:

10. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Sorry, I don't want to come between you and Abitary! :wacko:

11. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

What a revolting image. :biggrin: