How not to overtake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Downloading eagerly, unfortunately for me via dialup. Grrrrr!

Hope you're going to write the company a letter? I just posted my Simply Scaffolding one together with a CD of the video.

domtyler

Über Member
Yup, another total self-gratification artist, I don't believe your presence even registered in his small brain. That said, you should have been taking the lane there to stop that kind of tomfoolery.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

domtyler said:
That said, you should have been taking the lane there to stop that kind of tomfoolery.

You're probably right. At the time I was inclined not to because I could tell from the tone of his engine that he was probably going to try and overtake and I figured I'd rather have him in front than behind. At the time I hadn't seen the oncoming van that prompted his move over into to me.

I figured he'd probably just overtake quite close and then as he came to a stop in front of me I'd nip out and overtake him and the rest of the queue of traffic down the outside (as I turn right at the end of that line of traffic).

Didn't expect him to screw up overtaking so badly, I guess!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What a knob jockey! One funny response to this sort of driving is to pull up next to the gap in front of him. Hold your right hand up vertical next to the back of the car in front, and motion him forwards with the left hand. All with a serious expression on your face, just as though you're helping someone to fit into a tight space whilst parking.

Nasty, very nasty. In future mention to the driver if he waits a few days and then searches on google for his registration he will find either this thread or the video of himself. He might think twice in the future (or you will just get abuse :biggrin:

Any luck with the ultrasound sensor yet? That would have gave a good reading !!!

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

bianco said:
I've sent the company a link via their enquiry form on the website, let's see

Ah. I'd been hoping to handle that side of things myself. Never mind!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
"When I said I’d had to brake to prevent him from hitting me he just said “Well, that’s what your brakes are for”."

You see, you just don't get it Tim. He's driving a van. You're on a bike. Therefore, he is more important than you, and it's your job to get out of the way. If you don't, well, tough.

At least, that seems to be so many drivers' attitude.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Uncle Phil said:
I'd have been hammering on the side of the van with my fist as he went past. Sometimes, this gets the driver upset enough to actually stop and get out!

I have banged on the side of a van twice before, even though in both cases I had more room to the left of me than in this case. Both cases resulted in in a row with the occupants of the van and left me jittery with adrenaline and feeling wound up for the rest of the day. This time I kept calm and it's worked much better for me.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Yeah, I've had that too. I take your point. I was commenting partly on your restraint in apparently not doing it in the video.

I was also thinking, though, that on this occasion, it seems the van driver went away with the impression he'd done nothing untoward.

If you had banged, it might have left you both upset, but the van driver would have gone away with the impression that something he'd done had got you uptight, and maybe that'd be a better outcome?

On the other hand, you had words and came away calm, composed and in one piece, so that's probably as good an outcome as any.

bianco

PrettyboyTim said:
Ah. I'd been hoping to handle that side of things myself. Never mind!

Sorry Timmy

I suggest you write to them aswell, and many other people on this forum do the same, that way they'll get bombarded and will have to have words

I guess I should have asked your persmission first though :biggrin:

Top Bottom