How (Not) to Replace Bar Tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A couple of years ago, I decided my bikes needed new bar tape. Being a novice and generally cack-handed, procrastination ruled. With more available time recently, on an inclement day, I could delay no more. The idea was to learn as we go, making all mistakes on bike # 1, before proceeding to perfection on bike # 2.
Also, by posting here, future novices on CC could avoid similar mistakes that I would invariably make.
Having watched a couple of vids on YT, I was good to go.

BIke #1 - aka Dozza Bike
Right side.

Old tape came off easily, started new tape at bar end on the drop and worked my way round and up. Drop looks ok, left enough tape to fold back into bar end. Around brake lever ok. This was much easier than imagined - do not be afraid!
Error #1: overlapped too much, so ran out of tape in middle of bar, where black electrical tape is. Silly Error #2: trimmed tape incorrectly, so unsightly edge shows, where shadow is to right of black tape. (Since covered up using more electrical tape!)

Left side.

Top looks ok, top quite neat overlap. Drop is a mess. Not enough tape left for a neat tuck into bar end. And overlap too closely on drop, resulting in tape shortage on top. Overall, am happy with the result. Slightly messy but it feels so much better than the old rubbish - should have attempted it years ago!

1593532568290.png

Bike #2 - aka Posh Bike
Attempted to peel off old tape. Much more difficult! Strong adhesive left sticky residue. [Realised this is not going to be a 60 second job so put Sarah McLachlan s 'Surfacing' CD on.]
1593531723588.png

So a good scrape is in order with various sharp tools.
1593531923639.png

Still not happy with residue so rummage around for nasty chemical stuff. That's much better.
1593532098476.png

That only took more than once thru the CD - glad I was not in a hurry! Now for the fun part.

Right side.
1593532727568.png

Top looks ok but still not achieving neat overlap, did not make it to middle of bar top.

Left side.
1593532822367.png

At last, some semblance of success. Neat all way round, around brake lever ok, neat bar end tuck in. Overall, am satisfied, but not quite perfection. (Maybe I should do the right side again?)

1593707946774.png
1593708142513.png

Some thoughts for novices:

- plenty of tape is supplied, so do not worry about running out
- watch a vid first
- surprised how easy it is, especially going around the levers

And a query:
- and why, oh why, do some tape manufacturers put industrial strength adhesive on their tape making it close to impossible to remove?

Further constructive comments from the experienced welcome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom