How 'off road' can a road bike go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
So, a roadbike is ok for off-roading then?

it seems the answer if you read this thread is yes. as long as you fit 32c tyres.

So my TCR is fine for off-roading? Even the gemoetry is all wrong. its made of carbon and not designed for riding off road. it'll be fine as long as i fit wider tyres :laugh:

RedBike

So basically a road bike will be sufficient for my needs provided I can get a 32mm tyre on.

You will need sufficient mud clearance too. (Which will probably mean cantilever or disc brakes. )

As above, 32mm tyres are very narrow for off-road use. If you're going to ride anything technical or rough get a MTB!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
So, a roadbike is ok for off-roading then?

it seems the answer if you read this thread is yes. as long as you fit 32c tyres.

So my TCR is fine for off-roading? Even the gemoetry is all wrong. its made of carbon and not designed for riding off road. it'll be fine as long as i fit wider tyres :laugh:

NOOOOO!
I only take my road bike off-road (on its 28 or 25 tyres) because its a steel frame (531ST) and a relaxed geometry. Take a carbon road frame (or even a high spec road specific aluminium frame) and of course you are asking for trouble, even if you've soaked up the worst of the bumps with the 32c tyres.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
BentMikey said:
Dude, you really need two bikes.
That's almost the ideal solution. The ideal solution is to have more than two bikes... :ohmy:!

I have a mountain bike for offroad, a steel-framed Basso with low-gears for 90% of my road riding and a higher-geared aluminium-framed Cannondale for sunny UK rides and overseas holidays. I could make a case for a touring bike as well, but I haven't got the money or the space for one :ohmy:.

stevevw

Guru
No way will you be able to fit bigger tyres to the Boardman. I checked earlier, even 28's I think would foul the brakes. Sorry

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You need a crosser!

I ride a voodoo limba on both. I've ridden it XC, on the road, commuted on it, up hills, down hills. I bought it to be versatile and thats what it is.
Have a look at some of the cyclocross bikes out there. they really are the solution to anyone who wants a roadbike that can go off road.

More than one bike is the way to go.
That way you can still get out and ride evn if you break one of them.

An old rigid MTB with slick/mixed use tyres, mudguards and a rack makes a great all purpose machine and need not break the bank.

Dave5N

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
You need a crosser!

I ride a voodoo limba on both. I've ridden it XC, on the road, commuted on it, up hills, down hills. I bought it to be versatile and thats what it is.
Have a look at some of the cyclocross bikes out there. they really are the solution to anyone who wants a roadbike that can go off road.

That's not a cyclo-cross bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Back in the old days as a kid in Devon there were tyres called 27x1 and 1/4 inch fitted to chrome steel rims on heavy gas-pipe frames... and we took 'em everywhere, the more challenging the better.
I reckon if not a cyclo-cross bike then a steel frame tourer will go a lot of places. Try a Dawes Horizon or similar with slightly treaded tyres.

Oh, and designed rims for 23c tyres will not be suitable for say 28's or above. The Mavicsite used to give max tyre widths for its rims, my old CXP22's are for 23 and 25's only. I've used 28's on a narrow Mavic rim and though it fitted the tyre was the wrong shape.

Dave5N

Über Member
Actually, I'm sorry. They are legal I think.

I just had a flick through the Rule Book and it says any bike is legal up to UCI level races.

So it is a 'crosser.

Still bloody dangerous though and i wouldn't let it in. :blush:

Top Bottom