How often do you come off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

average about once every three rides on the MTB, but often it's more a case of what i would describe as 'stumbling to an unplanned halt' than a full-on crash.
A comedy one was when I went over one of those annoying little tufts of grass that looks like a tuft of grass coming out of flat earth, but is actually a little tuft of grass growing out of a mound of earth. Just went over the bars and landed on the grass, didn't hurt at all. It was actually my first time on clipless pedals on my mtb, and it was pleasing to learn that you just come straight out of them because that was one of the things i was worried about with putting them on it.

Never crashed on my road bike, thank god. Did have a little slide going across wet tram rails on thursday but fortunately stayed on.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
average about once every three rides on the MTB, but often it's more a case of what i would describe as 'stumbling to an unplanned halt' than a full-on crash.

The nasty one's where the bike stops dead, you continue and have a nadgers/steerer interface!!:sad::ohmy::ohmy:

About 2 1/2 years ago I was going down a steep back road which takes a sharp left unfortunately a WVM was coming the other way and was over the centre line, to avoid him I took quite a nasty skid down the tarmac. It was the middle of winter (I was well wrapped up) and I was able to walk away although my helmet was mashed.

Spring this year, going down a cobbled street in the rain, I got caught out by changing lights :sad: and wasn't able to stop before a taxi had pulled out. Thought to my self I could either go over the bonnet or head butt the cab, I chose the latter. Ended up with bust front teeth and a bit of scaring over the eye but was very lucky otherwise.

A month back whilst going down a sweeping right hand bend a car decided to overtake even though I was in the primary, unfortunately the was a car coming the other way and she had to swerve back in on me fast and I braked hard to avoid contact and locked up; this was followed by a dive into the ditch.

They things come in three's, so touch wood I've had my three.

I've hit ice a couple of times or had a clipless moments ;) in the past but luckily I've been going uphill, really slowly or still :biggrin: so I wouldn't really count these.

Joe

Über Member
I've come off four times that I can remember (excluding clipless moments) since I got back into riding about 18 months ago:blush:
Not all whilst commuting mind.

Cycling up a hill on my way home from the pub and I suddenly found myself on the ground with a grazed hip. No idea what happened.

On the way back from a party at about 7am on a quiet residential street. I was rather drunk... just lost my balance and veered straight into a parked car. Broke my front light but no damage to me or the car.

On the way into work the bike went from under me whilst cornering. Cut my finger. Upon checking my bike I noticed my tyre had a whitey yellow substance on it, which a quick smell revealed to be banana. So I think I may have slipped on a banana skin:biggrin:

First time I went out on the road bike in the rain I had it go from under me on a drain cover. At low speed so no real damage done.

I don't drink and ride anymore:laugh:

Tynan

Veteran
two somersaults over the bonnet and one up onto the windscreen, one revered over, all completely not my fault

one knocked off and onto the pavement, 50:50, (bit drunk)

sundry minor knocks and some very close calls

Top Bottom