How often do you stop when you're riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're just out for a short ride, not a longer one with cafe stop, how often, if at all, do you stop?

I probably stop once or twice either at the top of a hill, to drink some water and admire the view or just somewhere nice to drink it all in (the atmosphere that is), which you can't do when you're going along helter skelter.

I don't normally stop for more than a minute and then I'm off again. On longer rides, I'd stop more and maybe actually get off the bike, not in winter though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't stop at all - I'll ride up to 3 hours without stopping - just recover at the top of a hill by continuing to ride - it's quicker to recover than coming to a stop. Take drinks and food in on the move....

OP
OP
C

Crackle

HLaB said:
I tend not to stop on rides under 25mls unless there's something important. If I want to take in the atmosphere or drink I just tend to slow down.

buggers up your average speed that though :tongue:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Depending on the length. If i do a 50+ mile ride then i have a cafe stop. But if its something like 30-40 or below i try not to stop, but useually end up stopping at traffic lights or having to slow down for some traffic.
On club rides like the one today we stopped at the top of a hill to let the older/less fitter people rest and for a puncture.(ever notice they always happen when you dont want them to and never when your dieing to pull over and just lie on the floor?)

yenrod

I recall once having NOT rode for a while I was on a big one 50ml'er and stopped for an icecream...very pleasant it was...

fossyant said:
Don't stop at all - I'll ride up to 3 hours without stopping - just recover at the top of a hill by continuing to ride - it's quicker to recover than coming to a stop. Take drinks and food in on the move....

Anything up to 300 miles and I don't stop at all. I rest by sprinting the hills at only 90% effort and dropping down to only 35 mph on the flat.

simonali

Guru
I stop whenever I see a pub that's not closed! If the pub's shut I bravely soldier on to the next one.

Top Bottom