How often do you stop when you're riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I only use my bike to get to work and back.
Apart from stopping at red lights, I only ever stop to pat the horses if they happen to be by the fence of the field as I go past.

simonali

Guru
Cathryn said:
I have to stop all the time to let the husband catch up ;)

At the pub?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
yenrod said:
I recall once having NOT rode for a while I was on a big one 50ml'er and stopped for an icecream...very pleasant it was...

I thought that if you did a lot of exercise, and therefore got quite warm, if you eat a cold ice cream, it goes into your very warm tummy and could have unpleasant effects. ;)

andygates

If I'm pootling around, I'll stop every ten miles or so just to give my arse a break. Triathlon stuff is non-stop.

pzycoman

Depends why im out cycling - if im out because its a lovely day, iv been known to stop for 2 hours and have some kip under a tree or even in the sun! Apart from that, I tend to only stop to have a wee, or to buy more water from shop. Eat / use phone / scenery while on bike, just slow down a bit

gbb

Legendary Member
The most i generally ride is 45 miles, hard, without a stop.
At that stage, my backs getting sore, my willy has gone numb once or twice ;)(not on the same ride) and i've generally pushed as hard as i want to.

By the same token, occasionally i will ride 16 miles or so to a country park in Oundle, have a sit down in the sun, Mars bar and a fizzy, enjoy the view, and off again. Makes for a very nice break. Full of 'zing' when i set off again :ohmy:

Odyssey

I love to discover the world around me. To get out in it and not make the time to appreciate it would be a waste. It's often only for 5 minutes but my little quiet breaks are more often than not the highlight of my rides.

Dave5N

Über Member
Patrick Stevens said:
Anything up to 300 miles and I don't stop at all. I rest by sprinting the hills at only 90% effort and dropping down to only 35 mph on the flat.

When I first read your post, I didn't believe you.

Then I remembered that you are a lawyer and from North Wales and therefore the truth is your lifelong companion.

<Smiley>

surfgurl

My commute is only 5.5 miles, but I stop twice on the way. After all I am on my way to work and don't really want to get there too early.
If you are ever down in Somerset and see a cyclist in high viz having a crafty cigarette in a farm gate, wave hello to me.

surfgurl said:
If you are ever down in Somerset and see a cyclist in high viz having a crafty cigarette in a farm gate, wave hello to me.

Hooray, another smoking cyclist.;)

It depends why I'm cycling. When I did Audaxes I used to stop at the official cafe stops and occasionally at other cafes if I needed perking up a bit. Nowadays, I stop when I feel like it but I like to get a few miles behind me first. On Monday I went 12 miles down the Wye Valley, had a cup of tea and a rollie at Tintern station and cycled home again. Most enjoyable. I'm hoping to get a job in Chepstow soon, which will mean a balls to the wall ride all the way there, stopping for nothing.:ohmy:

mondobongo

Über Member
Ride local loop 35 miles non stop take food and drink on the go could probably do a few more miles at the moment without stopping looking at building up to a 50 non stop by the summer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Smoking on a bike :wacko: put that fag down..... :biggrin:;)

Commuting only xx( - more to bike riding than that..... I commute to get fit, then really enjoy getting the roadies out at the weekend..... :rolleyes:;)

Top Bottom