How often do you wash your mitts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Steve Austin said:
I wash mine every ride. I don't want to get ill cause i got some bacteria on them whilst riding and then spend the next ride wiping it all over my nose, only to spend time recovering with diarrhoea.
It makes sense to wash them every ride

If that's what you do with your mitts, it's no wonder you need to wash 'em.

I've never washed any of my mitts in 25 yrs of riding (well once by accident) and it's never caused me any squiffyness...

Tynan

Veteran
never ever washed a pair yet, ditto waterproofs

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
About a week of riding in this weather is enough to give mine a tinge of that odd smell that oft sweated into watch bands have.

I don't wear my Knog mitts (leather) much, but they don't get whiffy at all, it seems.

monnet

Guru
Steve Austin said:
I wash mine every ride. I don't want to get ill cause i got some bacteria on them whilst riding and then spend the next ride wiping it all over my nose, only to spend time recovering with diarrhoea.
It makes sense to wash them every ride

+1

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
When i wipe my nose and you get that smell that seems to linger, even when the glove is away from your nose, i wash them(well, my mum does. Im not allowed to touch her machine)
Or, when my kit gets washed.
Or, if they just smell, i sprey them with fabreeze, which sort of get rid of the sweat smell. But sometimes, gives it a sweaty valley smell:wacko:

jimboalee

Take shoes off and get in the shower in full kit. Apply shampoo, scrub and slowly strip off, wringing shorts, jersey, undershirt, socks and mits under clean water before throwing in hand basin. Then let them drip dry.

No need for washing machine.

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
Apply shampoo, scrub and slowly strip off, wringing shorts, jersey, undershirt, socks and mitts under clean water before throwing in hand basin.
I'm not falling for that. I reckon you put it all back on and go straight out for another 50.

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
I'm not falling for that. I reckon you put it all back on and go straight out for another 50.

That's been known.

I did the Solihull to Oxford charity ride once. There was a bloke with a hose about 20 miles from the finish. Everyone else rode through the mist spray.

kyuss

Veteran
No wonder there are so many posts on forums about keeping white bar tape clean. Wash your bloody gloves you manky sods! :blush:

I washed my smelly Specialized mitts recently and it didn't make any difference to the pong. They have leather palms so I've come to the conclusion it's the leather that smells. If yours are similar and you wash them, dry them slowly as the leather will go hard if you put them on a radiator, also dont wash them with anything else as the dye comes out of the leather.

Renard

kyuss said:
No wonder there are so many posts on forums about keeping white bar tape clean. Wash your bloody gloves you manky sods! :rolleyes:

I agree. I've got two pairs and I wash mine after every ride. I've had one pair for over a year and one pair that's still going strong after 4 years.

Plax

Guru
I've just washed all my gloves yesterday (well 6 pairs of gloves, 2 pairs were still unworn). I tend to wash them every couple of weeks when they start to smell or I've snotted too much on them. I couldn't remember if I washed all my winter gloves & skull caps already so I just bunged them in the wash anyway so I can put them away in the draw nice and clean ready for next winter.

None of my gloves have shown any ill effect from frequent washing (and I've had a few pairs now for nearly two years) - I generally put them in a delicates bag on a 40 degree economy wash with non bio washing powder.

Top Bottom