how often would you take resting HR..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trek Trauma Chris

mr Mag00 said:
and if in a.m. do you get up put on chest strap and the lie back down?

can you take time out in p.m and do it?

I was always led to believe that it should be taken the moment you wake up, wrist pulse whilst using the second hand of a watch to count.

GrasB

Veteran
Once every 6 months or so.

I get up go down stairs put the strap on the listen to some chilled music laying on the sofa for 20min or so. The lowest believable is 41bpm though I think that's a little to low, it normally sits around 45-47bpm

lukesdad

GrasB said:
Once every 6 months or so.

I get up go down stairs put the strap on the listen to some chilled music laying on the sofa for 20min or so. The lowest believable is 41bpm though I think that's a little to low, it normally sits around 45-47bpm

So what does that tell you ?

GrasB

Veteran
Can't be that far out though, sitting at my desk surfing the net I get 53bpm.

I get mine taken at my annual medical, normally just after my hearing test and blood pressure reading. I try to get an appointment late afternoon cos they finish earlier than me and it means I get home early.

I normally have a quick check when I'm sitting on the stairs putting my running shoes on.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'd be worried if I did that - my heart rate anticipates exercise so while I'm getting changed to go either running or cycling, my HR will usually climb to around 100 bpm. A bit more than my RHR of <40 :wacko:

Fiona N said:
..my heart rate anticipates exercise..

That is just weird. I always thought heart rate was a lagging indicator as it catches up with the effort you are putting in. You must get really excited at the prospect of going out. At the risk of sounding unnecessarily flirty, you must make a red hot date.

Fiona N

Veteran
Stig-OT-Dump said:
... At the risk of sounding unnecessarily flirty, you must make a red hot date.

This is one occasion when I could use ROTFL as I fell off the Swissball I use as my office chair :smile:

On the more serious point - HR anticipation of exercise is actually a fairly common phenomenon especially in trained athletes. I can't remember the exact reason but I think it was something to do with release of adrenaline as some sort of Pavlovian response. Sadly it doesn't do anything to bypass the need for a warm-up :smile:

Top Bottom