How old is the oldest tool in your cycle collection - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I bought these in the mid fifties when I first started cycling

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I bought these in the mid fifties when I first started cycling

View attachment 697348

View attachment 697348

I have tyre levers and dumbbell spanner like that in my Brooks bag on my Kingpin. I’m not familiar with the round item. What is it?

D

Deleted member 1258

A pair of tyre levers and a spoke key thats at least thirty years old, a set of open ended metric spanners that must be over forty years old and assorted box and ring spanners that I gained in a house move who's age is unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:

8mph

Veteran
A small pair of crocodile nosed pliers. Not cycle specific but something I take on longer tours since 2010. They're good for improvising fixes, cutting cables, or even bits of wire found on the verge. They've come in handy when welds have failed in racks or threads have stripped on rack mounts. They'll give a good grip on bolts tucked in inaccessible places under racks, pull cable, crimp things or help wangle a spoke through a drive side spoke hole at a pinch.

Sharky

Guru
I'm intrigued by this topic and now curious to look through my tool box to see what relics I have hidden. I know I still have a crank extractor to fit a stronglight 49d crankset. In fact I still have the crankset and the 54t TA ring that went with it. New in about 1968 and last used in about 1970. Why have I kept them?

Sharky

Guru
Because you never know when you might need them!

I guarantee that if you throw them out tomorrow then you will find a use for them within a week

probably

I remember going out the first time using that 54t (single) ring, with a bottom gear of 81". Somehow climbed up the hill into Prescot from the Liverpool side.

Still using a single front ring, but now it's a 34t one.

Top Bottom