How old is the oldest tool in your cycle collection - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Decided to rationalise the various 'every day carry' stuff I lug around with me when I go out for the day; puncture kit, multi tool etc., etc..
The idea being that one set does both bikes but with certain extras specific to that bike, so just swap the kit from one bike to t'other. I observed that I had been carrying three chain breakers if you include the one on my multi tool - ! :rofl:
However, and the point of this thread, I still have the box spanner which I bought in 1967 and still carry it for my Dawes Fox, as being of 'a certain age', it's an Imperial thread bike, thus the box spanner fits all the nuts.
Anyone beat that - ? :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've Rudge spanner whichnI think is pre war.

I do have a few bits and pieces that I didn;t buy but inherited
hence they must have belonged to my Dad - and as he was injured in WW2 then they must be pre-war

I don't carry them around as they are - obviously - Imperial and my bike only has metric bits on it
but I keep them around anyway - just in the shed or slowly making their way to the bottom of the toolbox over time

classic33

Leg End Member
Not in my toolset here, with one bike in Ireland is a bike toolkit that he had for his bike. From the Irish Free State, 1921 - 1927 period.

Sharky

Guru
The tools I carry are all fairly recent and fairly few. Just a couple of Allen keys, tyre levers and chain splitter and a very tiny adjustable wrench. But even these must be getting on for 20 years now.

But in my garage toolbox, I still have my dad's old chain whip which I think is pre ww2 when he raced on fixed.

Jameshow

Veteran
30 yr old cooltool just used it this afternoon!

sleuthey

Legendary Member
These are the oldest Iron age artifacts in my kit. No idea how old though.

IMG_20230702_205800_284~2.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I don't know- I did go through my toolbox and clear out the imperial spanners, old box spanners & weird multi spanners* a while ago which were probably fairly old. Some of the metric spanners I have were my fathers- I don't know how old they would be, early '70s perhaps.

*Whatever those spanners are called- barely usable flat bit of metal with various nut shaped holes in 'em.

Top Bottom