How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Only Peaky Blinders cosplayers.

Only for the under 40s or people doing DIY / gardening.

Hanging offence.

Everyone - business casual.

Only in Liverpool and council estates (this is a joke).

I am a taking it all as a joke, or, assuming you live in North Korea. ;)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Well for professional cyclists, comfort isn't a primary design aim of the bike, so referencing them in this regard isn't necessarily useful..

I would have thought if you were riding over 3000 km in 3 weeks, comfort would be a very high priority!

ExBrit

Ãœber Member
I suspect Exbrit didn't know (an TBH I'd forgotten until pointed out by somebody else after ExBrit's post) that Ming is normally a recumbent rider - and did LEL on a recumbent.

Very different requirements for comfort to those of us riding uprights.

'Bents don't count. I used to ride one many years ago and butt padding was unnecessary. We're talking real bikes here. :laugh:

ExBrit

Ãœber Member
I use a cycle as transport, sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 6 or 7 hours on a day out. Brooks saddle combat trousers, walking boots with a t shirt. No need for special gear personally.

Funny you mention that. There was a chap who rode with the club many years back on a 40 year old bike, regular shorts, tee-shirt, gardening gloves, toe-clips. He was perfectly happy. He was also one out of a hundred. Your average person wouldn't do that. It takes all sorts.

abcd efg

Ãœber Member
45 Returning to road cycling but am I too old for Lycra ?😱
13 stone, healthy figure 😛, (wife says my legs are my best bit, the rest is crap) and spend most of my life wearing shorts (even in winter) but am I just too old now to wear the budgie smuggling bib shorts and figure hugging tops of a road cyclist ?

I'm 80 and often wear Lycra especially for a long or difficult ride. Age should have nothing to do with what you wear. But I am going to talk to Corrine Dennis about her touring shorts. I expect they might be a great addition to my cycling wardrobe.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
How old is too old for Lycra? About 145 I'd say. You'd maybe be past it by then perhaps. Maybe

abcd efg

Ãœber Member
I'm 80 and often wear Lycra especially for a long or difficult ride. Age should have nothing to do with what you wear. But I am going to talk to Corrine Dennis about her touring shorts. I expect they might be a great addition to my cycling wardrobe.

Should have said Corrine Douglas, not aa

Top Bottom