How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
45 Returning to road cycling but am I too old for Lycra ?😱
13 stone, healthy figure 😛, (wife says my legs are my best bit, the rest is crap) and spend most of my life wearing shorts (even in winter) but am I just too old now to wear the budgie smuggling bib shorts and figure hugging tops of a road cyclist ?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You are now in your middle age, so perfect for Lycra . Embrace your inner MAMIL

WTF?
Wear what you want. Cyclists wear lycra because it is practical and does the job well.
Dont let the smart arises call you a MAMIL. They know nowt. And they can't ride a bike.
Ask them about how daft they look on a golf course wearing that stupid uniform - and it is a uniform because they are all scared of upsetting the club captain by wearing something different.

Or ask them about footy fans. Why do they all wear scarves when it's not cold?

Wear anything that makes you happy, but Lycra does what it says on the tin.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
If you're comfortable go for it. A bike is a different thing to different people. Commuters generally don't wear lycra but those who go out on a road bike in their spare time generally do. It's all about comfort. Personally i don't wear it, but it isn't for vain reasons. Go with whatever and **** everyone else. :okay:

MntnMan62

Ãœber Member
45 Returning to road cycling but am I too old for Lycra ?😱
13 stone, healthy figure 😛, (wife says my legs are my best bit, the rest is crap) and spend most of my life wearing shorts (even in winter) but am I just too old now to wear the budgie smuggling bib shorts and figure hugging tops of a road cyclist ?

You aren't too old for lycra. I'm 57, turning 58 this month. I wear lycra shorts for every road ride. I hope to one day be in better shape to start mountain biking again soon and will wear mountain bike specific shorts that have lycra underneath so they look like regular shorts. But for the road? You're never too old. One thing I am hesitant to wear is the skin tight tops because I have a good sized gut. I'm trying to lose that and once it's down to a respectable level, I'll be wearing the tops again too.

I'm 66 on Monday........I'll still be out in my kit. 45? What on earth are you worried about? 😄
Bleeding youngster:smooch:

Top Bottom