How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

im sure you don’t look like this so you’ll be fine. Whatever you think he’s got the balls to wear it.
Dont forget to get the ‘chain tattoo’ for more street cred :becool:

I just bought my first pair of cycling shorts with padding at 41 and understand your concern :-) It does make a difference in terms of comfort - or at least the padding does. There doesn't seem much good advice about where to start. I opted for some Altura Clickfast undershorts with padding. There was little else at entry level that didn't have crap reviews. I wear jeans/normal shorts over the top. Noone would know I had them on.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You aren't too old for lycra. I'm 57, turning 58 this month. I wear lycra shorts for every road ride. I hope to one day be in better shape to start mountain biking again soon and will wear mountain bike specific shorts that have lycra underneath so they look like regular shorts. But for the road? You're never too old. One thing I am hesitant to wear is the skin tight tops because I have a good sized gut. I'm trying to lose that and once it's down to a respectable level, I'll be wearing the tops again too.
Similar here although I was 58 in March, at least my gut is coming down slowly :angel:

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I just bought my first pair of cycling shorts with padding at 41 and understand your concern :-) It does make a difference in terms of comfort - or at least the padding does. There doesn't seem much good advice about where to start. I opted for some Altura Clickfast undershorts with padding. There was little else at entry level that didn't have crap reviews. I wear jeans/normal shorts over the top. Noone would know I had them on.
I would happily wear them not so long ago in my 30’s I still have the same Mavic Bibbed shorts and Team Sky top that all fit too!! But wondered is there a time to stop, a bit like wearing a baseball hat backwards, it just becomes wrong 😀

Top Bottom