How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Towards your knees? :whistle:
Nah I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic about 18 months ago so I've been eating better and drinking less, lost a good 10kg since. My biggest weakness was bread (Toasted mainly but quite a few butties too) and packets of Biscuits with a cuppa.

EDIT for me Carbohydrate is really bad nowadays. :sad:

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Nah I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic about 18 months ago so I've been eating better and drinking less, lost a good 10kg since. My biggest weakness was bread (Toasted mainly but quite a few butties too) and packets of Biscuits with a cuppa.

Yes, bread is bad news. I got into the habit of having a couple of slices of toast at work after riding in. Not good. Now I’m mostly working from home I’ve been able to knock that on the head because we don’t buy bread.

Dwn

I'm in my early 60's and no lightweight. I wouldn't want to walk down the road in Lycra, but as soon as I'm on the bike I couldn't give a monkeys what I look like. Comfort and practicality trump vanity and self-, consciousness. Go for it!

Brads

I bought a skinsuit this year lol, at 52 :laugh:

Went veggie last year so it's the first time I've been able to wear one without looking like a badly stuffed sausage roll.

Answer is 1 day younger than the age you snuff it .

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Dont forget to get the ‘chain tattoo’ for more street cred :becool:
View attachment 533601

A well-known northern racing club bans from the club runs any member who is amateur enough to get chain oil on their leg.

At 73 I am quite slim and still wear lycra when riding but must admit to looking increasingly like a badly made sausage.
In the early days of skinsuits Cycling [Weekly] advised that testers of pensionable age shouldn't wear lycra as they tended to resemble 'sacks of firewood'.

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm coming upto 51 and look like a sack of spuds in lycra. Do i still wear it?, Of course i do.
It's comfortable, wicks the sweat away and it's stops all that chaffing that loose baggy shorts would cause. I see many people older and in worse shape than me wearing it too and they don't give two hoots either. You wear what ever you want buddy and enjoy your cycling because that's all that really matters. Wearing lycra just makes cycling that more comfortable

MntnMan62

Ãœber Member

I hear you. When I last had bloodwork done it seems I was pre-diabetic. I sort of noticed that but never discussed my results with my doctor so the "message" never got through to me. I am scheduled for new bloodwork in two weeks. The last few weeks I've begun watching my sugar, carbs and calories hoping maybe I can avoid the diagnosis. But I've also been feeling some neuropathy in my feet and have a feeling I've got it. I too love my carbs in all forms. We'll see if I'm joining you.

Top Bottom