How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Screenshot_20220918-175232_Chrome.jpg

Peter a legend in these parts is 92years now and because I searched for him a targeted Farceboke thing came up with this:

Screenshot_20220918-175101_Facebook.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You may be a long time cyclist, but you've never cycled for a long time.
What do you consider a long ride if LEL isn't one?

Alex321

Veteran
What do you consider a long ride if LEL isn't one?

I suspect Exbrit didn't know (an TBH I'd forgotten until pointed out by somebody else after ExBrit's post) that Ming is normally a recumbent rider - and did LEL on a recumbent.

Very different requirements for comfort to those of us riding uprights.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suspect Exbrit didn't know (an TBH I'd forgotten until pointed out by somebody else after ExBrit's post) that Ming is normally a recumbent rider - and did LEL on a recumbent.

Even so, even on an upright, padded pants are usually compensating for an ill-fitting saddle or an unsustainable riding position.

While I've not yet ridden LEL, I've done many 100+ milers and multiday tours unpadded and unlycra-ed without discomfort. Allergies discourage me wearing it. If you like the badly-stuffed sausage look, go for it, but don't pretend it's better than simply riding.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

I rode LEL 2013 on an upright bike

I don't know why you are arguing your saddle is comfortable, when you have to wear padded pants for rides as short as an hour.

Capture.JPG

icowden

Veteran
Proper cycling shorts aren't mainly about saddle comfort, they are mainly about reducing chafing.
They also help ensure that the gentleman's tackle is kept comfortably secured and not bashing about all over the place...

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You clearly don't understand. I'm not sure why.

Proper cycling shorts aren't mainly about saddle comfort, they are mainly about reducing chafing.

Absolutely correct. the chamois in earlier cycling shorts was exactly that - a piece of chamois leather, not a pad.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You clearly don't understand. I'm not sure why.

and what is causing the chaffing, the saddle / bum interface! I understand perfectly monsieur, whilst you are stubbornly insisting your saddle is comfortable whilst needing to wear padded pants! Get the right saddle and you won't need the padded pants.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Twenty one page now!

My view:

If some people wish to wear Lycra, so, be it, it is called choice, it is not compulsory

Are such strongly held views applicable to the wearing/not wearing of:

Flat caps
Jeans
Shoes without socks
shirt without tie
Track suit to watch TV
... etc

Alex321

Veteran
and what is causing the chaffing, the saddle / bum interface! I understand perfectly monsieur, whilst you are stubbornly insisting your saddle is comfortable whilst needing to wear padded pants! Get the right saddle and you won't need the padded pants.

I don't believe there is a "right" saddle that does that.

Though it is something that is rather hard to test out empirically. There aren't many places that are likely to let you borrow a saddle for a couple of hours ride then try another and another until you find one which works.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I wonder what proportion of LEL, PBP and Tour de France riders wear padded shorts? Perhaps the vast majority of them are on uncomfortable bikes? :cycle:

Well for professional cyclists, comfort isn't a primary design aim of the bike, so referencing them in this regard isn't necessarily useful.

But LEL & PBP riders aren't (usually) doing it competitively with bikes designed to be the fastest regardless of comfort, so those are certainly relevant.

I suspect Ming will try to claim they (and we) have all been taken in by the marketing hype, and those shorts really aren't necessary.

Top Bottom