How on earth does a sawstop saw work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I suspect this is not precisely a DIY tool, but I wondered whether a wiser person than I might be able to explain how it works to me? @woodbutcher possibly? I've also heard @Andy in Germany is pretty good at stopping machines ;)
No idea how this video slipped into the recommended videos on YouTube; it's far from an area I'm familiar with. But I was stunned by this amazing device that is a sawstop. The bloke in the vid takes a shot at explaining how it works, but left me no wiser. I suspect it's some form of fiendish quantum electrodynamic magic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYLAi4jwXcs

So if anyone can provide a more rational explanation, I'd be so grateful ... and will subsequently confer upon you the title 'Mage of the Highest Order.'

classic33

Leg End Member

woodbutcher

Veteran
I suspect this is not precisely a DIY tool, but I wondered whether a wiser person than I might be able to explain how it works to me? @woodbutcher possibly? I've also heard @Andy in Germany is pretty good at stopping machines ;)
No idea how this video slipped into the recommended videos on YouTube; it's far from an area I'm familiar with. But I was stunned by this amazing device that is a sawstop. The bloke in the vid takes a shot at explaining how it works, but left me no wiser. I suspect it's some form of fiendish quantum electrodynamic magic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYLAi4jwXcs

So if anyone can provide a more rational explanation, I'd be so grateful ... and will subsequently confer upon you the title 'Mage of the Highest Order.'

Holy smoke , l had not even heard of such wizardry, In my workshop the circular saw stopped (eventually) when you hit the big red stop button, and sometimes that was a tad too late to prevent an awkward outcome ....:sad:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Strewth! That's impressive. Many years ago I was being treated for a broken collarbone in Grantham hospital (infamous for hosting Beverly Allitt) when a bloke came in clutching what was left of his left hand after a close encounter with a bench saw.
He was remarkably sanguine about it.

(Sick humour alert)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wow - how clever is that!

Oh, here is a guy who believes in his own invention!!! :laugh:

A wood machinist at the factory I worked at in the 1980s used to trim his nails using his circular saw... He never managed to saw any fingers or thumbs off while I worked there, but it seemed like it was only a matter of time until he did!

My dad came home from work very late once. He was NEVER late so we knew that something had happened. It seems odd in this era of mobile phones to think that something serious could happen without there being an opportunity to make a call to explain what was going on. Anyway ... turned out that he had somehow managed to plane the end of a finger off! He could not figure out how he had done it. He said that the machine was set up properly and he was pushing the timber through using another piece of wood so his hand shouldn't have been anywhere near the cutter.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Not good enough for the title 'Mage of the Highest Order'?
Pointing me in the direction of a helpful and understandable explanation got you 'Mage.' To qualify for 'Of the Highest Order', well you'd've needed to lay out your own response ... with pretty pictures ... and written like you were talking to Little Ted from Play School. ;)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You wouldn't need it if you had the guard in place.

BTW that's a farty little Dimension Saw wonder if it'd work on a decent size blade

1595058043674.png

D

Deleted member 26715

I've never seen one of these before, neat bit of tech, wonder what happens with damp wood it that would draw enough current to cause a reaction.

Top Bottom