How safe is Paypal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

andygates said:
I've used Western Union and Paypal. Western Union is horrendously expensive, especially for small sums like £140 (IIRC a £60 purchase turned into £90 once the charges were all said and done). I've never had a problem with Paypal and use them quite a lot.

Yes, Western Union can be expensive. It is also extremely quick to get cash in to the hands of another in many countries though. As a one-off thing to get cash to someone quickly, it is OK.

If I were needing to get money to someone regularly, I would do it through the Bank, Standing Order, Direct Debit, or single Order/Transfer. I can do this on-line myself with little hassle. Just takes longer for money to get through.

andygates

Bank to another currency in another country is still a hell of a faff though, unless something has changed.

davidwalton

andygates said:
Bank to another currency in another country is still a hell of a faff though, unless something has changed.

I have not done it with another currency in another country, but works fine in the UK in UK Sterling. Perhaps that is why Western Union charges are as high as they are, ie. cash available at a counter within minutes of it being sent.

NickM

Veteran
alecstilleyedye said:
...part of me still feels they should cough up the extra money i had to spend offline to make sure we had the camera for xmas. ;)
Perhaps you will be consoled by the fact that your story has put me right off using them for a forthcoming purchase :angry:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
NickM said:
Perhaps you will be consoled by the fact that your story has put me right off using them for a forthcoming purchase :angry:

partly. stupid business practice. i lose out paying £219 for a camera they could have supplied for £175. they lose out because they could have supplied said camera and got the lost item paid for by parcelforce, but instead, due to their ridiculous investigation policy, have ended up refunding all the money whilst still having to pay sellers fees to paypal. or making a loss on the transaction in other words ;)

Top Bottom