How self sufficient are you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am not really. Don't grow veg or salad etc.
Our ex DiL (who we both still love) remarried and lives in Montana...... a real homestead type family.
She regularly posts photos of 'game' they have bagged.
Recent ones include....
An Elk
Trout on their garden smoker.
Some huge sea bass.
Digging for clams.
Amazing really.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bin a while since i put an elk in the freezer.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hopeless.

We have the space but not the motivation.

The best I do is putting an occasional shooting potato into a pot of garden compost; the return on investment is impressive!

Oh, and we have several lifetimes worth of rosemary and sage growing among the flowers.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Barely..

Despite producing abundant food, for financial gain personal use and barter - for other foods and services..

And having a 'private' water supply, solar panels etc.

We're all interdependent on each other,

if I have a farm accident and need an ambulance, I'm on my phone straight away..

Other people with other skills contribute massively to my life, and to the wider society in which Im lucky to live...

Then there's all my wonderful family, freinds and wider. community, including the plants and animals, and microbial activity all around us all

No man (or woman) is an Island..

The notion of 'self sufficiency' is anathema to those indigenous communities who live from, and closest to the land..

Thankyou for coming to my
"Debunkimg the Idea of Self Sufficiency"
Ted Talk..

:smile:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Well my monthly Tesco delivery is sufficient but guess if things got drastic theres plenty of roadkill up here in the highlands. Ive given up fishing but if starvation looms i'll dust the rods off :okay: In the event of a something really catastrophic it wont matter how self sufficient anyone is cuz it wont help..not for long anyway :ohmy:
DSCF3401.JPG

SydZ

Über Member
Well my monthly Tesco delivery is sufficient but guess if things got drastic theres plenty of roadkill up here in the highlands. Ive given up fishing but if starvation looms i'll dust the rods off :okay: In the event of a something really catastrophic it wont matter how self sufficient anyone is cuz it wont help..not for long anyway :ohmy:
View attachment 643855

You need a bigger boat board.

tyred

Legendary Member
Not very. Damned lower classes keep poaching my grouse and trout.

View attachment 643855

Them floods seem to at least add a bit of variety to your roadkill. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We used to have a lot of seafood in my diving and creel fishing days as well as line fishing in season for mackerel, pollack and cod mostly. The garden was also very productive but all that is now well in the past sadly.

Last edited:
That dog
View attachment 643855

looks suspiciously disinterested

When I had one that level of disinterest in food on a table normally indicated intentions I was not supposed to suspect

Including a joint of roast pork at my Mum's one day

Given all societies rely on barter or trade, be that directly or indirectly, aren't all but a notable few people that are unfortunately unable for health reasons self sufficient?

I trade my skills for tokens, that I then exchange with those that have things I want.

Top Bottom