How self sufficient are you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’m able to walk to the fridge without help

fedbeb15000c92540a5ea26bb9a659bf.jpg

Chief Broom

Veteran
Quietly computing the situation and wondering if he can getaway with it :laugh: Murphy would often have fish for dinner like pollack/mackerel or sea trout if a large one and too much for me to eat :okay:
DSCF3386.JPG

DSCF4625.JPG

DSCF4677.JPG

DSCF3174.JPG

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I grow potatoes, onions, garlic, chili's, tomatoes & beans -stuff that you would normally buy.
Got some herbs and strawberries on the go, as well.
Not much, as it's a small corner of the garden where I've put some raised beds, but every little helps and it gives me something to do. :okay:

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I grow potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes & beans -stuff that you would normally buy.
Got some herbs and strawberries on the go, as well.
Not much, as it's a small corner of the garden where I've put some raised beds, but every little helps and it gives me something to do. :okay:
We get some excellent harvests from the allotment but it's only a tiny fraction of what we eat, and I don't particularly want to dwell on how much we spend on council tax, water, sewerage, gas, electricity, petrol, etc.
The cost of living is a shocker. I hope those with big mortgages have done their sums.

D

Deleted member 26715

Some huge sea bass.
Digging for clams.
Montana is a landlocked state, over 300 miles from the sea, are you sure she's telling you the truth where she lives?

pawl

Legendary Member
We’re very self sufficient.Mrs p just puts a list on something called a websiteTesco or Acado everything arrives at the front door either on a Tuesday or a Friday.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

nagden

Über Member
We have a large veg garden and keep ourselves in veg for about nine months of the year. This time of the year is a bit sparse waiting for the new veg to arrive. We normally have enough apples to keep us going into late winter. A few pears. Rhubarb, raspberries and cherries in the freezer. We have 4 hens that keep us supplied in eggs except in the darkest days of winter.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We can't claim to be self-sufficient but grow a lot of our own vegetables and soft fruit. This is for the pleasure of growing and eating it. Some crops I can grow and store sufficient for a year, others are seasonal:

Grow and store for the year: onions, shallots, garlic, redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries, apples frozen for cooking, parsley, chillis.

Seasonal plus some frozen: asparagus, French beans, runner beans, mangetout, broccoli, kale, purple sprouting, Cavolo Nero, pak choi, spinach, lettuce, spring onions, 2nd early potatoes, tomatoes, peppers.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
We’re very self sufficient.Mrs p just puts a list on something called a websiteTesco or Acado everything arrives at the front door either on a Tuesday or a Friday.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Same in thi household but every Saturday, only downside is that Tesco want to take out £200-£230 from my bank account a week for the privilege!

Top Bottom