How steep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FourMinuteSmiler

Hi all, first post so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I keep reading about 8% and 10% hills. I understand what this means, but is there some mapping website where I can find out the gradient of a given hill?

And is there a more relevant section of this site where I should be asking this question?

Cheers.

Here's just fine for this question!

I use google earth, and use the plot path function (in metres) and compare the length of path against the altitude gain (shown centre-bottom of screen) to work out the percentage.

It goes as (vertical metres/horizontal metres)x100.

Hope this helps,

Simon

OP
OP
F

FourMinuteSmiler

Well what do you know, isn't the internet a wonderful thing!

Thanks PP & SR, checked both methods and they match (give or take a few metres for my lazy plotting!)

The only disappointment is that the hill that always kills me isn't as step as I'd thought. Oh well.

bonj2

streetmap.co.uk, one chevron is >10% and two chevrons together is >20%, so if it hasn't got a chevron you know it's less than 10%.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Go to Mapmyride.com Plot your route using the "start mapping" function, and check the box marked "show elevation". The entire route will be shown on a graph with gradient for each section. As a tip, type your postcode into the "Jump to" box, and you won't have to scroll across the entire globe to start.!

jimboalee

bonj said:
streetmap.co.uk, one chevron is >10% and two chevrons together is >20%, so if it hasn't got a chevron you know it's less than 10%.

That is Ordnance Survey mapping and better than 'Get-a-map'.

On OS, one chevron is >14% ( 1 in 7 ). Two chevrons is what you said, >20% ( 1 in 5 ).

When I see ONE chevron, I look for another route.;)

There is a scaler at the bottom of the frame, so you can put a ruler up to the scaler and then the contours on the map.

It just so happens that when I ask for 1:25000 on my Sony Vaio 15" laptop, 500 m on the scaler is 5cm on the ruler.
Jammy, or what?

bonj2

jimboalee said:
That is Ordnance Survey mapping and better than 'Get-a-map'.

On OS, one chevron is >14% ( 1 in 7 ). Two chevrons is what you said, >20% ( 1 in 5 ).

When I see ONE chevron, I look for another route.;)

There is a scaler at the bottom of the frame, so you can put a ruler up to the scaler and then the contours on the map.

It just so happens that when I ask for 1:25000 on my Sony Vaio 15" laptop, 500 m on the scaler is 5cm on the ruler.
Jammy, or what?

oh 14% is it! ah, i see - that makes me feel a lot better about one of the hills on my commute which i've thought is bloody steep for 10%. I can now console myself that it's probably more like 12-13% :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
jimboalee said:

When I see ONE chevron, I look for another route.:laugh:
If I see that my route doesn't include any chevrons, I look for another route. :biggrin: Not difficult round here...

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

If I see that my route includes double chevrons, I make sure that I'm riding my Basso with its 30/28 bottom gear!

jimboalee

ColinJ said:
If I see that my route doesn't include any chevrons, I look for another route. :biggrin: Not difficult round here...

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

If I see that my route includes double chevrons, I make sure that I'm riding my Basso with its 30/28 bottom gear!

I have to ride to Thor's Cave near Wetton for a double chevron.
90 km away.
You're so lucky.:biggrin:

bonj2

shauncollier said:
church lane is surely more than a double chevron, isn't it?

nothing's "more" than a double chevron, the only thing more than a double chevron is multiple double chevrons, which means it's more than 1 in 5 for a considerable distance.

bonj2

ColinJ said:

nice :smile: i have pretty much the same policies :smile:

Sam Kennedy

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned (I didn't read all the replies), but if you go on bikehike.co.uk, you can plot out your route, then check the box saying "Show Elevation Data", then in top right you can switch between 'Gradient' and 'Elevation'.

Obviously, you will want to see the Gradient :smile:

Top Bottom