How strict is Cycle to Work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If an employer wants to provide bikes over £1000 they have to apply for a credit license, then you can actually get a voucher for more.

If they will only go to £1000, then you simply pay the difference up front. You are not breaking any rules in doing this, should you keep the bike at the end of the agreement you simply pay the final fee. If you hand it back then its you who are the loser. You have not conned anyone dispite what some a claiming on here.

Since the start of this thread I have actually checked with my HR dept, who informed me that I was perfectly within my rights to do this. They also infromed me that you dont actually have to buy a bike, should you already have one that needs some upgrading (new wheels/gears etc) then that is also allowed.
The only thing that is frowned upon is buy two bikes or buying a bike for someone else.

As I say this may well vary depending on scheme/employer

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Picks up Pinarello Catalogue!

Seems fair enough to be able to top it up - though there are some decent enough bikes around for 1K (thinking of the Scott Speedster that Evans have discounted down from £1399 to £999 :biggrin:)

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
The Evans Ride to Work one won't let you just buy accessories, you have to buy a bike. However, two bikes are allowed if you need one to get to a station and one kept the other end if they're not allowed on your train route at peak times.

Arch

Married to Night Train
addictfreak said:
Ed
For me my purchase allows me not only to cycle to work (which i do everyday) but it has also allowed me to enjoy a more serious level, which i may not have been able to do otherwise.

So how about I get a bike to cycle to work, which I do anyway, and then get a subsidy to buy a horse, so that I can ride in my spare time? Oh, and some cinema tickets. And chocolate.

I'm with TheClaud on this one.

(My employer is, I suspect too small to support the scheme, and anyway, since both the boss and I have multiple bikes already and are running out of storage space, we're sorted...)

So if you get a bike you can only ride it to and from work? I just dont see your logic. Its a win win situation, could for me, good for the enviroment, good for my local LBS, and hopefully good for employers in raising levels of fitness and hopefully reducing sickness levels.

As you say you have a bike already, you choise not to renew it. Good on you and good luck with your choice. But that is YOUR choice, mine is different. Would you remove my right to choose, because it doesnt fit with yours!

To be honest I find your last post just a tad childish.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
addictfreak said:
So if you get a bike you can only ride it to and from work? I just dont see your logic. Its a win win situation, could for me, good for the enviroment, good for my local LBS, and hopefully good for employers in raising levels of fitness and hopefully reducing sickness levels.

As you say you have a bike already, you choise not to renew it. Good on you and good luck with your choice. But that is YOUR choice, mine is different. Would you remove my right to choose, because it doesnt fit with yours!

To be honest I find your last post just a tad childish.

Who are you talking to?

Arch

Arch said:
So how about I get a bike to cycle to work, which I do anyway, and then get a subsidy to buy a horse, so that I can ride in my spare time? Oh, and some cinema tickets. And chocolate.

I'm with TheClaud on this one.

(My employer is, I suspect too small to support the scheme, and anyway, since both the boss and I have multiple bikes already and are running out of storage space, we're sorted...)

There is all ways room for one more:evil:

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Its an interesting debate though and I'm left wondering why the scheme isn't open to everyone on a personal level - which I suppose still wouldn't stop the rules being bent and "buying for someone else"

:biggrin: The government could zero rate bicycles and allow the tax relief to be claimed through a Tax Return submission and / or Tax code change

theclaud

Openly Marxist
addictfreak said:

I see. Well - I don't see what's childish about it. In fact, it seems to me to be quite grown-up to take responsibility and ask what you actually need before you insist on getting everything you possibly can. What seems childish is to rush in and grab the most expensive present, just because you can.

Phil

There are many things that could be done indeed. The trouble is, as always the way in which the scheme is run. So many different schemes and employer rules. I couldnt agree more that it should be open to all.

And how do you know I didnt need a new bike? You dont really do you.
If I had bought a bike for £1000 pounds would that have made you happy? I suspect not because according to you I didnt need it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
addictfreak said:
And how do you know I didnt need a new bike? You dont really do you.
If I had bought a bike for £1000 pounds would that have made you happy? I suspect not because according to you I didnt need it.

Like I said - my misgivings aren't directed at anyone in particular. You might well need a new bike, and if I were going to buy a bike through the scheme, I would buy a good one. I'm just not a fan of the general practice of squeezing everything you can out of a system for the sake of it. If you need it, or will make good use of it, fine. But there are obviously ways to exploit it for cynical gain.

Top Bottom