How strict is Cycle to Work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSA

My work place do not offer the cycle2work scheme but my wifes does. I am desperate for a new bike.

If my wife applied and bought a bike for me on the pretence of it being hers would her workplace really find out, would they care?

I know you are supposed to use it to cycle to work on which she has no intention.

Is this fraud?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have a friend who does that, he bought a bike through his scheme for a mate of his.

BSA

We have used the CTW scheme to our advantage completely, some guys even bought two bikes. Some didnt buy bikes but bought wheels etc. I bought a bike that over the £1000 limit, just paid the difference up front to my LBS.
I think basically its down the the shop you go to, some will play it by the book others will bend over backwards to help.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
At the risk of being a killjoy, this kind of discussion doesn't do a lot to advance the cause of schemes that are designed to encourage cycling. The BTW scheme notionally encourages novice or occasional cyclists to try commuting to work, but in practice it is becoming a way for experienced cyclists to upgrade their kit. I haven't got a problem with that in itself, and a bit of extra trade for LBSs is a good thing, but there is such a thing as cynical exploitation.

l4dva

Guru
My work place aren't even bothered if you actually use the bike to commute to work on. Loads here have brought full on mountain bikes and use them on the weekends but still drive there cars to work. I'm hopeing to buy another bike once this current one runs out. Still got another 6 months to wait though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I know of at least 2 that bought through the bike to work scheme and started commuting as a result so it has worked in that respect.

nigelnorris

I used a mate's scheme to buy myself a bike to commute on, whereas he would never have used it for himself. Ironically my own employer got round to starting up a scheme now so I can use that to buy myself another bike for the weekends if I want. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Don't look theclaud but.....

I wonder if we could start a swap scheme whereby people who's stingey useless lazy bastard employers (like mine) who don't/won't provide a C2W scheme could get them from members who's lovely generous employers do.

The end result is the same isn't it? - the Gov't has subsidised another bike on the road and where's the harm in that?

As many people as possible should take advantage of this scheme before they realise it's actually something good and useful and therefore kill it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
threebikesmcginty said:
Don't look theclaud but.....

I wonder if we could start a swap scheme whereby people who's stingey useless lazy bastard employers (like mine) who don't/won't provide a C2W scheme could get them from members who's lovely generous employers do.

The end result is the same isn't it? - the Gov't has subsidised another bike on the road and where's the harm in that?

As many people as possible should take advantage of this scheme before they realise it's actually something good and useful and therefore kill it.

Don't get me wrong - I think the scheme is a good thing, and as Summerdays suggests, it might even be working. There's no excuse for employers not signing up. But I think it's not too much to ask that people taking advantage of tax breaks do so for genuine reasons (and that could include getting a more suitable bike) and that the scheme is not simply exploited to provide new toys for rich boys.

Claud

For me its not about 'new toys for rich boys' , its giving me the chance to buy the bike I drool over at the bike shop window.
And quite how you seem to think im exploiting anything is beyond me. Im allowed £1000 which I got and am paying for in line with the argeement. The other 500 came out of savings. I have not claimed above the limit and am getting any other tax relief than that im entitled too.

theclaud said:
There's no excuse for employers not signing up.

Erm, yes there is - it's called cashflow. If 100 employees all purchased a £500 bike and accessories, the company would have to fork out £50,000 which would be repaid over 12 months.

Do you know how much a bank loan of £50,000 would cost over 12 months?

Cash is king and most sensible employers will not stretch themselves in the current climate.

If the government wanted to, they could do this directly with tax codes to encourage cycling to work, in the same way that they used to with company cars.

Don't blame the employer, blame the government.

Downward

Guru
VictorL said:
Erm, yes there is - it's called cashflow. If 100 employees all purchased a £500 bike and accessories, the company would have to fork out £50,000 which would be repaid over 12 months.

Do you know how much a bank loan of £50,000 would cost over 12 months?

Cash is king and most sensible employers will not stretch themselves in the current climate.

If the government wanted to, they could do this directly with tax codes to encourage cycling to work, in the same way that they used to with company cars.

Don't blame the employer, blame the government.

But its like lending £50k and getting back £60K in 12 months.

andyfromotley

Oh it is most definitely fraud. The scheme is quite clear. the bike is to be used primarily for the employee to cycle to work. What you are suggesting is a stone bonker criminal offence.

Now consider this, could you live without your wifes wage? Because most workplaces would instantly sack people who were caught doing this. Is a new bike worth that?

Having said that i suspect that your chances of being caught are about nil. But it was this sort of sharp practice that people found so abhorrent in MP's.

IMO you should just redouble your efforts to get your employer to adopt the scheme. Not easy i know as i spent the last two years trying to convince my last employer to adopt it. Unsuccesfully.

Good luck anyway.

Downward

Guru
andyfromotley said:
Oh it is most definitely fraud. The scheme is quite clear. the bike is to be used primarily for the employee to cycle to work. What you are suggesting is a stone bonker criminal offence.

Now consider this, could you live without your wifes wage? Because most workplaces would instantly sack people who were caught doing this. Is a new bike worth that?

Having said that i suspect that your chances of being caught are about nil. But it was this sort of sharp practice that people found so abhorrent in MP's.

IMO you should just redouble your efforts to get your employer to adopt the scheme. Not easy i know as i spent the last two years trying to convince my last employer to adopt it. Unsuccesfully.

Good luck anyway.

Technically though all the stipulations are is that it is used by her to commute to work on more than it's used by her for private use.
She is within the law to cycle 100 yards and stick it in the shed for a year until paid off where she can then give it to you.

timmcp

I got mine on the cycle to work scheme, the only problem I had was that I have to use the car to do my job. So I emailed our HR department and told them that I wanted to register, the only problem was I used the car for work. I got an email back to say they have no way of monitoring the scheme anyway, so your registration has been approved. Even my line manager signed my form to allow me to apply for the voucher.

I have cycled to work twice now, mainly because I enjoyed cycling there. So I dont suppose anybody can complain!

Top Bottom