How the heck does that happen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its really the only place it will happen.
Remove/pull aside tape, inspect spoke and nipple. Are they tight or does the spoke stand even just slightly proud of the nipple ?

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Its really the only place it will happen.
Remove/pull aside tape, inspect spoke and nipple. Are they tight or does the spoke stand even just slightly proud of the nipple ?

The spoke feels tight but if its not tight does it mean it will stand proud of the nipple? Its been Ok for 500 miles

si_c

Guru
It can happen, as @gbb suggested, pull the tape back and look underneath, the spoke may be protruding above the top of the nipple, which could cause this, if it does, then either file it down or use a shorter spoke.

I also presume that you are using rim tape that came with the bike, probably a thin plastic? That stuff is frankly dreadful, swap it for Velox cloth rim tape, it's a bit heavier, but you won't ever have any problems with it.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

I've checked it, the spoke is ok, it is cloth tape too, it's stick down can I just put new tape over the top?

si_c

Guru
I've checked it, the spoke is ok, it is cloth tape too, it's stick down can I just put new tape over the top?
Yeah if it's cloth tape, then you could put a bit over the top if you have a short section lying around. If not I'd be inclined to replace the whole lot. Nice clean rimtape will make your bike just that little bit blingier.

OneArmedBandit

Other people are more fastidious, whenever I've ever had disintegrating rim tape I just put the new stuff on top.

New wheels do seem to come with wafer thin rim tape for some reason. I've never ever seen aftermarket tape even approaching it, they all tend to be reassuringly strong. I just use the £2 rubbery stuff from the local hardware store, but I have lots of puddles on my route and I worry cloth would perish.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

I got some of the cloth stuff from decathlon. Which appears to be velox. Managed to get the old stuff off which is wafer thin in comparison....seems to have done the job!

Top Bottom