How tight? Carbon seatpost. No torque gauge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Set the saddle to the right height and put some tape aroundd the post a few millimetres up and tighten the clamp to what you think it should be.

If the post drops you will see the tape going down the the seatpost and you know to tighten it up a bit more. But fiber paste helps reduce the torqu needed.

Cyclist33

thanks. would be nice if having spent eighty quid on a bloody rod, they threw in a sachet of such paste!

as i said tho, it has to be as tight as ive done it because it swivels otherwise.

cheers

stu

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Also just about to fit a carbon seatpost to an aluminium frame and have read conflicting arguments about a reaction between the carbon and aluminium and whether to use a grease or paste. Can anyone clarify this for me? :smile:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Also just about to fit a carbon seatpost to an aluminium frame and have read conflicting arguments about a reaction between the carbon and aluminium and whether to use a grease or paste. Can anyone clarify this for me? :smile:

I might be wrong, but what I think you are thinking about is a steel to aliuminium contact, that requires normal grease on it to keep the 2 metals apart and stop them fusing together.

Carbon grease (or carbon paste, or fiber grip) is a paste with small, angular "bits" in it that bite into the surface of the carbon, so then squeezed by the seatpost clamp it increases friction, and therefore either gives more grip for a given seatpost torque or allows the seatpost clamp to be looser.

I think.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-fiber-grip-carbon-fibre-assembly-gel-50ml/

Albert

Über Member
A torque wrench is the best money you will ever spend IMO. Best safe than sorry in the new world of CF everything. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have not had to use any paste on CF seatposts when using the correct amount of torque.

Top Bottom