How to adjust V-Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Standard V brake pads look like this,

lifeline-performance-v-brake-blocks.jpg

Note 2 sets of concave/convex washers

whereas 'Canti' pads just have a serrated pin on the back. I'd get a Clarkes 'Universal' rear brake cable, that has a different type of nipple on each end, you just cut off the one you don't need, one is for road/hybrid bikes the other for MTB/hybrid bikes (note that hybrids can have either type of lever)

Shalesearcher

Regular
Hi all, well stripped the v brakes down to individual components, I think I was correct in that one of the springs was compromised/strained, had a fiddle with it with pliers and moleys, got it as good as I could and cleaned/lubed all parts and reassembled with new pads and cable... I works significantly better now, although I will at some point renew the whole system, the frame has all the holes/lugs etc to put a disc brake on, so may do that down the line.. Also, my new tyres have arrived, didn't overspend, but didn't get the cheapest either, got a pair of Vandorm Crossfire (26 x 1.95) [53-559] off Amazon, £14.99 delivered.. So will pop them on and report back..

Shalesearcher

Regular
Hi Shalesearcher, I have been looking at getting those too, curious to see how you get on with them.

They fit, seem to have reasonable tread, they aren't complete cheapo's, they have directional arrows, the bead seems sturdy enough, came in 3 days (ordered Sun night, came Weds morning) I've been out for a quick test ride, and seem smooth enough, so for £14.99 for the pair Inc delivery by Royal Mail, I have to say so far, so good..

Reactions: C R

Shalesearcher

Regular
Thanks @Shalesearcher, I will put them in my list for Santa ^_^

Well, done a few miles on them, seem fine on the road, and I went off road as well, traversing a well grassed, but lumpy and inconsistent in angle, I didn't slide sideways down, and the left side pedal was close to grounding frequently, and it was very wet as well.... So so far, so good.....

C R

Guru
Well, done a few miles on them, seem fine on the road, and I went off road as well, traversing a well grassed, but lumpy and inconsistent in angle, I didn't slide sideways down, and the left side pedal was close to grounding frequently, and it was very wet as well.... So so far, so good.....

Thanks for the report, it looks like it is worth getting them.

T4tomo

Guru
Standard V brake pads look like this,

View attachment 385106

Note 2 sets of concave/convex washers

whereas 'Canti' pads just have a serrated pin on the back. I'd get a Clarkes 'Universal' rear brake cable, that has a different type of nipple on each end, you just cut off the one you don't need, one is for road/hybrid bikes the other for MTB/hybrid bikes (note that hybrids can have either type of lever)
Interesting, but won't fit shalesearchers brakes. S/s the main adjustment should be with the cable where it pass through the lock nut thingy. Then adjust the posts for fine tuning. They don't need to have same amount of post showing, but hitting the rim at the same time is what you are aiming for. And yes if you put the wrong inner cable in, then the nipple slipping in the lever will compromise your braking.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Interesting, but won't fit shalesearchers brakes. S/s the main adjustment should be with the cable where it pass through the lock nut thingy. Then adjust the posts for fine tuning. They don't need to have same amount of post showing, but hitting the rim at the same time is what you are aiming for. And yes if you put the wrong inner cable in, then the nipple slipping in the lever will compromise your braking.
Yes we know that, the OPs bike uses 'CANTILEVER' type pads, do keep up at the back.

Top Bottom