How To Avoid Dropping Your Chain When Changing Down On The Front.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can make one from a chunky-sized zip-tie around the seat-post. Trim to length, then optionally tune by angling the cut end.

Lighter than the commercial ones :okay:

Big fan of dog fangs here. I gouged a serious amount out of a nice ally dale frame with a few drops. Now fit them to my steel builds.
A dahon sports bike with a 3 speed hub linked to a 7 speed rear mech with just a single big front ring used to drop the chain all the time off the front. where no changing went on. Sorted that with a dog fang. Had the idea that this was a built-in issue as I noticed that dahon fitted one as standard on later models.

Ta.
But ha, that's what I know as a dogfang - I thought the reference was to some device which allowed the mech to maybe handle a bigger range encompassing a smaller front ring than it might normally handle. I got nattering to a bloke on a ride a while ago who had a massive drop/range on his front mech and was surprised that it was possible. So I thought maybe he had been using some clever device.

Bogs

Regular
That's the one, just checked mine and it is the N gear one, I put a thin bit of plastic as a shim and never adjusted it, must have been on there over five years no probs.

si_c

Guru
Big fan of dog fangs here. I gouged a serious amount out of a nice ally dale frame with a few drops. Now fit them to my steel builds.
A dahon sports bike with a 3 speed hub linked to a 7 speed rear mech with just a single big front ring used to drop the chain all the time off the front. where no changing went on. Sorted that with a dog fang. Had the idea that this was a built-in issue as I noticed that dahon fitted one as standard on later models.
Would probably have benefited from a narrow wide chainring in the first place.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorry, don't know what one is. You may well be right, whatever it is, dahon somewhat notorious for chucking clever bits together without adequate testing.

Narrow/wide chainrings only work on 1x drivechains. The wider tooth is aligned with the link that has the outer chain link, narrow tooth for the inner.

Top Bottom