How to best clean this up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
I wouldn't sell the Brooks but then I've got 6 of them, if it is a B17 then 2nd hand from the 70s it'd only be worth about £40. It's not old enough to fetch a premium like a 50s or earlier would and they're only £60 new.

TBH though is it a bog-standard B17, Brooks' most popular (and cheapest) model. it looks longer and narrower to me more like a 'Team Pro' or B17n (narrow) if it is it will be worth more IMO.
The model will be stated on the side panels but may be worn away though use although generally you can make em out.

These are mine listed in order of 'comfort'

• B17n (Narrow)
  • B5n (Same shape as the B17n but with a 'dimpled' top and a row of 'lacing' holes around the bottom)
  • Swallow Titanium 2004 Ltd Edition (Limited run of 999 pieces each with a signed and numbered certificate of authenticity)
  • Swift Titanium (Short 'racing' model)
  • B17 Special (copper riveted B17 with copper plated rails)
  • B67s (Rear coil sprung)
Although the B67s is new so may rise up the comfort ranking when I get it worn in and don't get me wrong they're all comfy but the B17n is a saddle I've ridden for many a 100 mile day consecutively whilst touring and probably has 70,00-80,000 miles on it
The B5n was a gift from John at my favourite bike shop, they were fitted as standard to medium range Raleigh group bikes throughout the 60s so has little value (but is a great saddle)
Ah. Very well spotted Sir. A B17 Champion Narrow no less

If you have got some lemon or lime juice about that will clean up the rust on the chrome well. Just brush it on, leave it a while and wipe it off with a wet cloth. Stubborn bits might need a light scrape.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
If you have got some lemon or lime juice about that will clean up the rust on the chrome well. Just brush it on, leave it a while and wipe it off with a wet cloth. Stubborn bits might need a light scrape.
With 2 kids and wife full of cold there's plenty of lemon juice available. It's on the classifieds as is but happy to drop price a bit for someone who's kindly offered advice on my previous threads.
Many thanks

With 2 kids and wife full of cold there's plenty of lemon juice available. It's on the classifieds as is but happy to drop price a bit for someone who's kindly offered advice on my previous threads.
Many thanks
Thanks! It is nice to hear that somebody appreciates my mutterings.
They are nice saddles, I don't think my wife would let me buy another.
My grand dad was called Kernow.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Worth a bit more, they're £80-90 new but more importantly much more desirable to the 'Eroica' crowd who want a 70s bike to look 'correct'.
I've put it in the classifieds for £50ovno and pictured it 'as is' so people can see exactly what they're getting. Happy to drop or bit for yourself or one of the others who have taken the time to help me by reading and contributing to my posts
Many thanks

Top Bottom