How to best clean this up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Was donated this Brooks B73 for the Colnago.
Should I pop a new 'name plate' on it and what's the best way of cleaning the material and rails?
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20171109_071031380.jpg
    IMG_20171109_071031380.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20171109_070948463_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171109_070948463_HDR.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20171109_070935162.jpg
    IMG_20171109_070935162.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20171109_070925318.jpg
    IMG_20171109_070925318.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20171109_070916167.jpg
    IMG_20171109_070916167.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Also, how old do we think this is? Thanks?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Leather looks in excellent condition, just put some proofing on it. The rails can be cleaned with metal polish. Those saddle clamp mounts can be a pain so you might want to change it. Wouldn't have a clue on age.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Many thanks, I'll get onto it today and pop a hopefully 'shiny' pic up. I take it it's ok to remove the clamp and use the rails and seat post clamp 'a la modern' to fix saddle? Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
As Cycleops says. Brooks Proofide is good but not particularly cheap but the small pot lasts ages. Graingers GWax which is really a boot dubbing will work well and is much cheaper, apply to the underside of the saddle too.
That seat clamp will need to be unbolted and use the other kind of clamp that is likely to be on your Colnago.
https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/...VxbrACh2R3waEEAQYBCABEgITw_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dt|pcrid|161819759739|pkw||pmt||prd|539532UK

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
is it not a B17 model and B73 is the date code (i.e. 1973 manufacture)? The Brooks B73 is a hefty sprung saddle.

I would leave the badge as is - sourcing and fitting a replacement could be more hassle than it's worth.

Brooks badge timeline: http://www.kurtkaminer.com/brooksbadges.html
Yes - thank you for clarifying that; definitely confusing for numpties like me having a date code that matches another model number.
Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice pressie. :becool:

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Actually; doesn't quite suit the all-Italian Colnago so the previous owner is happy to sell and split money. Anyone interested? Value! Worth popping on the classifieds?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't sell the Brooks but then I've got 6 of them, if it is a B17 then 2nd hand from the 70s it'd only be worth about £40. It's not old enough to fetch a premium like a 50s or earlier would and they're only £60 new.

TBH though is it a bog-standard B17, Brooks' most popular (and cheapest) model. it looks longer and narrower to me more like a 'Team Pro' or B17n (narrow) if it is it will be worth more IMO.
The model will be stated on the side panels but may be worn away though use although generally you can make em out.

These are mine listed in order of 'comfort'

• B17n (Narrow)
  • B5n (Same shape as the B17n but with a 'dimpled' top and a row of 'lacing' holes around the bottom)
  • Swallow Titanium 2004 Ltd Edition (Limited run of 999 pieces each with a signed and numbered certificate of authenticity)
  • Swift Titanium (Short 'racing' model)
  • B17 Special (copper riveted B17 with copper plated rails)
  • B67s (Rear coil sprung)
Although the B67s is new so may rise up the comfort ranking when I get it worn in and don't get me wrong they're all comfy but the B17n is a saddle I've ridden for many a 100 mile day consecutively whilst touring and probably has 70,00-80,000 miles on it
The B5n was a gift from John at my favourite bike shop, they were fitted as standard to medium range Raleigh group bikes throughout the 60s so has little value (but is a great saddle)

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
I wouldn't sell the Brooks but then I've got 6 of them, if it is a B17 then 2nd hand from the 70s it'd only be worth about £40. It's not old enough to fetch a premium like a 50s or earlier would and they're only £60 new.

TBH though is it a bog-standard B17, Brooks' most popular (and cheapest) model. it looks longer and narrower to me more like a 'Team Pro' or B17n (narrow) if it is it will be worth more IMO.
The model will be stated on the side panels but may be worn away though use although generally you can make em out.

These are mine listed in order of 'comfort'

• B17n (Narrow)
  • B5n (Same shape as the B17n but with a 'dimpled' top and a row of 'lacing' holes around the bottom)
  • Swallow Titanium 2004 Ltd Edition (Limited run of 999 pieces each with a signed and numbered certificate of authenticity)
  • Swift Titanium (Short 'racing' model)
  • B17 Special (copper riveted B17 with copper plated rails)
  • B67s (Rear coil sprung)
Although the B67s is new so may rise up the comfort ranking when I get it worn in and don't get me wrong they're all comfy but the B17n is a saddle I've ridden for many a 100 mile day consecutively whilst touring and probably has 70,00-80,000 miles on it
The B5n was a gift from John at my favourite bike shop, they were fitted as standard to medium range Raleigh group bikes throughout the 60s so has little value (but is a great saddle)
Thanks so much for your input. I will look to sell it as I've no use for it and at this early stage of my cycling life, can't see a time when I will. I stumbled upon the opportunity for the Colnago by pure fluke and whilst I appreciate her beauty, can't help but feel she's wasted on me and would be better in the hands of a retro/classic/vintage/Eroica fanatic also. I've only been cycling a year (and in my mid-30s) so, regrettably, my main focus (and it would be wrong to deny it) is improving, getting fitter, faster, shedding weight etc - not the purer forms of cycling enjoyment.
Thanks so much for your interesting insight.

Top Bottom