How to break a chain whip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think I found that one out. If only I'd actually written the date down when I changed them last...
I worked it out to about 2.5 years ago when i put a new chain and cassette on. The chain is pretty shot at; stretched beyond the gauge will measure. I might sling a few links of unused chain around the cassette and chain rings to see if i can determine how ground out they are (if at all). If they're not particularly worn I'll give up the experiment and bung a new chain on. If they are, I'll leave it all to wear in unison and replace the lot when they start slipping.

GuyBoden

Guru
You did however show us a picture as well as a link though... which is worth three points. :okay:

Any idea what the rounded oblong slit in the handle is for?

No idea, but you have made me curious.

U

User6179

[QUOTE 5295545, member: 9609"]I sort of expanded on this idea some time ago, I had a terminably rattly cassette, so I done it up stupidly tight in a bid to stop it rattling (it didn't, it still rattled like a good'n) Anyways when I come to undo... Just impossible, I didn't destroy the chain whip but it was bending well out of shape and I thought I would bugger the cassette with the sideways twisting action.

So, this is what I come up with, it makes even the tightest cassette child's play.

Note how the QR holds the special tool in place and also stops any sideways forces on the cassette. the chain don't even need wrapped around, it holds fine as shown. (keep the QR a little less than finger tight to allow the special tool to turn, once it moves quarter of a turn remove the QR or you will damage something)

View attachment 416983 [/QUOTE]

Nifty ^_^

Top Bottom